Experts Box Help :-) (phil...someone comment)

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 102
hey phil has been helping me out :-) but i think he mightt be busy or tired of me lol, but i was originally going with this box http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=35&Eh=20&Dia=10&Xmax=6&Vd= .2&NumW=2&Vb=6.4&Fb=38&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0 with 2 15"l7 but they would be squeezed to fit, you think it would sound better with 2 12"l7 like i mean louder then 2 15's since the 12's have more air space?? and i would be running it with a http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundstream-Picasso-PCA2000D-Subwoofer-Amplifier-2000W_W0QQi temZ140029527842QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 43
Spl,

You need to have alittle more patience especially when people are helping you that aren't here 24/7.

2 15's are going to have more spl output than 2 12's.

The box you designed is fine, you got plenty of volume.

Onbly issue is the bracing and that's not a problem either.

Easy way to solve the bracing issue is to change the design of the enclosure around by moving the port from one side to the center of the enclosure.

Then, instead of a full brace as I showed you, you do a half bracket brace.

By moving the port to the center, instead of one port one as noted on the parts list, you cut two of them.

The ports wall act a brace for the front baffle, the half bracket bracket brace still spans front to back, but at the top & bottom of the brace braces the front baffle center of the subwoofer.

I'm going to do the design one more time, you scrap it, I'm cutting you loose to fend for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3354
I just read your thread...from what i see in that link, you are not going to get 2 15" L7's to fit on a 31" wide baffle. If you could go w/ a longer box, L7 15's would be ok in ~3.25cuft per sub.

If you want to go w/ 2 12's...try 4.5-5cuft net instead of 6.4cuft net. Also, I would tune to 32-35hz instead of 38hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Marshall,

The baffle is 35" and two S15L7's will fit.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1750
the only thing tht is 35" is the top and bottom...and since the port is gunna be in the way its only gunna leave u with 31"....i really dont think thiers enough room

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Just barely fit.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3355
You better brace between those subs...maybe double baffle and brace.

I'm 90% sure that L7 15 baskets are 15.5" across...you are gonna be cutting it VERY close. (mounting hole is 14.125"x14.125")

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5660
all of a sudden drivingreckless is a box expert. lol. i'm just messing with you bro.

just port the center of the box and he dont need bracing like phil said. well i think thats what he meant. i'd port the center. infact that is what i am planning on doing when i get my 2 15s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
As I said, they would fit.

The enclosure is 35" in width.

The frame of S15L7 is 15 5/8" square x 2 = 31 1/4"
The cutout for a S15L7 is 14.1 - rounded to the next highest number 14.1250 - 14 1/8"

Slot port width 3 1/4" centered on 35".

Subtract for the enclosure sides & slot port walls - .75 x 4 = 3"

35" - 3 = 32" - ( 14 1/8" x 2 = 28 1/4" )= 3 3/4" - 3 1/4" ( slot port width ) = 1/2"

That means a 1/8" space from the sides & slot port opening & from the interior wall surfaces.

Like I said, they will fit, but just barely fit.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3356
yep...tight squeeze :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Chad,

No, you still need the bracing because the width of the slot port walls aren't going to di<k for bracing except at the front baffle.

The half bracket bracing will be more than enough that doubling the front would be required.

Yes, alot will depend on SPL's abilities to build this enclosure given the very fine line of accuracy as to locating the cutout dead center of the baffle's to each side of the slot port.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
SPL,

If you can squeeze alittle more width than 35", take what you can get, you going to need it.

The margin of error for this enclosure is so minimal, if the parts are not cut true and square and assembled less than 100% dead on, the project is pooched----- BIG TIME.

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 103
wow.. its a tight squeeze.. 35 is all i got and the port in the middle is good so the port is 3 1/4" so down both sides of the port its the same 8.75 inches down which would look like thisbothhttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/xxYupxx/box.jpg

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 104
wow.. its a tight squeeze.. 35 is all i got and the port in the middle is good so the port is 3 1/4" so down both sides of the port its the same 8.75 inches down which would look like this? http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/xxYupxx/box.jpg

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 105
oh and i can go 37"W leaving barely any room, whenever you get a chance phil maybe you can help me through the dimensions and stuff i appreciate everything :-)
Spl-

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 106
^^ oops twice, but i can do 37" max on the wideness and i appreciate everything phil sorry if it seemed like i was rushing you, but when you get a chance maybe you can help me through the dimensions so i can build this enclosure thanks man :-)
SPL-

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 108
Alright now that i have 37"W 21.75"D 20"H i made a box but help me out on it still see if its ok and make corrections thanks phil :-) http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/xxYupxx/Box2.jpg

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 111
:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Spl,

I'm not going to work on this tonite.

I get at first thing in the morning after I had my two cups and not before.

As for your revised design, yes, your math is correct - .6250" spacing.

However, if you wish to maintain the original spec's you calculated before, you either have to drop down the height or the depth.

Personally, drop the depth, don't mess with the height. If you don't adjust it, your tuning changes because you increased volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Spl,

Here's the final design plan and details for the enclosure.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 112
wow thanks alot phil you helped me alot, out of everyone on here you put the most time in and i appreciate it alot thanks :-)

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1763
chad your my one and only tru frin :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us