Stereo or Mono?

Silver Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 138
Alright, I've been waiting for weeks to have the money to buy my new amp so that I can fully power both my Alpine Type S 12s. I'm down to two choices, an Audiobahn A6004V (600 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms) or an Audiobahn A8000V (800 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms). They are $5 apart in price, so that's not an issue.

So here's my question. Is there a noticable difference between wiring my two subs in parallel to the mono amp to push them at 800 watts from wiring them in stereo at 600 watts? I'm talking in sound, not wattage. That's the obvious difference. My subs are only 600 watts RMS anyways, so I was going to turn down the gain on the A8000V and get about 600 watts out of it.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 840
id go 8000v because trying to adjust each channel on the 6004 to exactly the same will be a little harder

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 139
I thought you weren't supposed to have the gain maxed out anyways, so won't I need to adjust it some no matter what?

Silver Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 140
Bump.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1595
Taken straight from www.bcae1.com

You should remember:
1.The gain controls are designed to match the amplifier to the head unit.
2.The gain controls do NOT determine how much power an amp will produce.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2827
I would use the 8000v since if those are single 4ohm subs

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5656
8000v is a class D amp, I think the other model is AB.
Unless you have HO alternator, go with class D.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1261
either will work but depends on what you need for power. By your specs the AV6004 will have more pwoer available for each sub 600 per bridged channels. The 800 will have its 800rms split between two subs. if thats your only amp in the car it won't matter if its D or AB class unless you have a tiny alty. You will need a multimeter to set the gains up correctly though which will take extra effort. But how about this, don't go AudioBahn. They're junk. If you're on a budget go Hifonics.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 847
actually alter. its 600rms total so each channel is 300rms after they are bridged.

and sweaty thats not what i ment of cosre you have to set your gains i ment it my be difficult to set your crossover points on each channel exaclty the same becasue a-bhan amps arephillips screws. not flatheads

and i dont think the 8000v is really class D anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us