BS audioshop or what?

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 244
I went to a audio shop to talk about installation of my equipment since my equipment is running me a lot of money, I don't want it to mess up by trying to connect everything by myself and plus I want the warranty to be in full effect by having a pro install my equipment for me. Anyways, I went to a audio shop to ask about installation and so forth and there were some things that I found rather disturbing. The guy at the audioshop said that the highest alternator made as in amps is 220amps. And he was telling me there is no 300amp alts and that if someone was selling me a 300amp alt that when it's benched it really only puts out like 220 or w/e. And they were trying to tell me that I would need 1 battery, 1 220amp alt, and a high farad cap. When I heard this I thought to myself, BS!. Because for me to run 5000wRMS-6000wRMS of power wouldn't I need some serious batts and atleast two alts, roughly 2 200-250amp alts. And why would I want to buy a cap for? Made me wonder if these guys were actually good at what they did. I thought they were since they sold the new RE line and had some good products such as treo and so forth. But to tell me 1 batt, 1 cap, and 1 220amp alt that just seems like BS. Also, when asking about alts and if he knew anyone he can refer me to, said it would run me 600 for a 220amp alt w/ install. yay rip off.

Bronze Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 52
300a? Ohio Gen....he's full of sh....

No cap. Full of sh....

Right about the batts and alts needt for 5k plus.

Install yourself... www.alterstart.com Bout 300.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2988
i'm actually supprised the guy even knew you could custom build a high output alternator, lol.

220 is about the most you can get out of a standard cased alternator though. so that may be what he meant.

even if you have 5K watts, you aren't seeing all 5K with normal music....

1 battery is all you need if you have a good alternator.

caps have their uses and will be useful in addition to a HO Alt.

it really can run you $600 for a HO alt though, some brands are crazy expencive, wuch as Ohio Gen.

alterstart sucks. i had one of thoes alts a while back, 160 amp, i was plling 500W RMS with a single JL 500/1...thats it, fried the sh-t out of it after 4 months.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2545
listen to brandon he knows his sh!t but a cap will help out onl if u have the charging system for it so u could get one

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 54
Line by line.

Me too.

If you mean small case? Yea, at the extreme.

5K depends on the system. My last daily driver was 6k..with ease. Daily.

1 battery? Depending on the draw, maybe. 2 abtteries per 1k, is considered self sustaining, if you have 70a of alt per 1000w of amp.

Caps have no use, regardless of alt.

Alterstart has one of the best reputations out of all the alt builders. Tho no company is perfect, nor is any elctrical component built where the the employee gets .25cemnts and hour and a bowl of rice.

Name a company, ill show you as post where an alt has taken a sh!t on them........ Dont belive me, post your paypal, ill post mine and the loser gets 10 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 146
There are 300A alternators out there, many installers are afraid to use them because there was a rash of really awful ones (If memory serves, bad recitifiers were the culprit, but I can't remember for the life of me the companies involved) out there a while back. There are many companies that will sell alternators that do not meet their specs in all ranges, not just at 300A.

As far as a cap goes, many installers now think they're a waste of money and are used as a bandaid for not having a good charging system. The benefits of better transient power delivery and DC filtering are usually so minimal it's not all that worth it. I have never heard a system sound measurably better or seen a decent increase in SPL because of a cap. In 10 years in the business. Some people still like them though...

Your audioshop sounds like it just doesn't have a whole ton of experience doing big systems, not so much that they're BSing you. Shop around a bit more for an installer.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2548
a cap is use for power factoring corrections they do have there uses if used correctly otherwise they would not have been created in the first place

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2990
Renegadesrun...Upload
i never said any company was perfect...if you have the alt output, you don't need extra batteries....and don't line by line me again.

Bob/Renegadesrun - caps do have a use, but their effects are so small you have to have some test equiptment to measure it. you'll never notice by listening.

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 152
Brandon,
I agree, but simply put I think their effectiveness is not worth their price. Should have put that in the original post, but it's been a LOOOONG day (9am-11pm at the shop today = cranky post Bob) They may have their place but I rarely see a need for them. Usually a good battery and alternator is more than sufficient. I do think that the DC Filtering of a cap can be useful, and when used as an addition to a system they can be one of many factors that help overall audio quality (all those little bits add up.) I suppose I should soften that stance seeing as how I'll nitpick systems about two inch speaker position changes and get into heated arguements about phasing tricks.

To be honest however, I am at a SQ focused shop, we RARELY pull more than 2,000 watts, and frequent the 1,100 watts and below range, not saying that you can't have SQ above that power range, but it's much less common to be up there with the gear I sell and with the "collapse" of us nationwide brick and mortars setting up SQL systems.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 245
anyone have any ideas? Should I get two 200amp alts. And how about two Kinetik 2400 batts. Of course everything else in between like 0guage and the big 3. I need advice from someone with experience in Alternators that can give me an idea on my charging system. I'll most likely be bumping my system around 3500k and on ocasions at 80% of power. I would like to deal with them, but I like a audio shop that can give me an estimate of cost of install, either that or I would rather go by labor/hr.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 521
I'd say do it yourself, man.

You'll want a shop that knows what they're doing, or at least you want your installer to know the truth about things I suppose the sales guy doesn't matter so much as the installer.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 246
hmmmmmmmm, I might just do it myself. anyone have a guide on how to hook up the batteries, lets say I get 3 kinetik's. Thats the one thing that boggles my mind, but I might get the alternator and batteries hooked up at a alt shop. Then from there do everything myself.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 525
Explain to me what it is you're doing? I don't think I understand... because so far I don't see the need for extra batteries?

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 247
2 15's powered by 1 amp each, each is rated at like 2500rms at 2ohms,then 1 800rms amp for the highs. so its like 5k to 6k of power I'll be installing in my car.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 530
You planning on running the 960 in pro mode?

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 58
Brandon, ill do wtfe i want. Now, always.

What equipment, what will you prove? If the iventor disproves the usefulness of his own products, i would have to agree with him. This debate has occured on every forum on the net. I have never seen the cap arguement won, mathematically, or otherwise.

Most recently here, i found the post interesting. http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=7166&st=0

Do what you want. IMO its not worth the expenditure.

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 783
On the alternator topic.. There are bigger alts. If rebuilt you can normally find someone to do it for $1 an Amp.. I know someone locally whom has a 400A alt :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5643
i have a 280a ho alt by iraggi. i asked him a few months ago can i have a 5000wrms system on this alt. he told me yes. it would help if i got 3 batteries in the trunk along with one under the hood. so thats total of 4 batteries. also do 2 runs of 0 gauge from the front to the back.

he said as long as i keep my batteries well charged, i will be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6056
dude....caps are for people who

A. don't know WTF an alternator is for....
B. need a Voltmeter for their amps...lol
C. have extra money and want to waste it...
D. are an^l about "flashing" lights, not to be confused with "dimming" lights

that's right polo...i am busting YOUR balls.:-)

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5651
sometimes the stereo places will scare you into buying the car. damn azzholes.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5652
i meant cap not car.

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 64
Customers ask alot, but we steer them toward an alt, a small/large Kinetik, and the big 3.

If they insist, we will order one, we wont/dont them.

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 159
I'm with Renegade, I haven't sold a cap in at LEAST six months.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us