Please Help need SQL sub for shallow trunk

Username: Joeman

Post Number: 2
I just put down a deposit on a pair of Brahma 10" MK III's and then I read this today.
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/discus.pl

So the MK III has a 80% fail rate with no way to get them fixed when they break. I had thought this was the perfect sub for my application till I read that. So now I need to get my money back or buy something else from this dealer. He sells Stereo Integrity subs. I've never heard of them.

So anyway here's the specs of my application. Due to my very shallow trunk I have bought a precut 3/4 mdf box for an exact fit. The box is for 2 10's and it is only 7" deep. That's my hang up All the subs I want are more than 7" mounting depth.

I am looking for the baddest sub that will fit in this box. I plan to run around 600w RMS. My first priority is SQ... but I want something that gets really loud and draw some attention when I want it to. It has to hit super hard. My 2nd priority is toughness and quality. I want a sub that's indestructible and will last along time. Remember it HAS to be a 10 and less than 7" mounting depth. I thinkk tha box is around 1.5 cu ft and I will be stuffing it as well.

My first choice was the Brahmas until today.
Other subs I have considered and why they wont work:

OZ matrix Elite... seems good, need more info

Image Dynamics IDMax... Not enough SPL

Digital designs... probably need more airspace

JL 10Wv6... not enough mounting clearance for pole vent

RE XXX, Eclipse, JLW7, Treo TSX won't fit

elemental designs, SI mag, crystal comps, Stereo Integrity, Boston G5 ... don't know enough about them

I am willing to spend up to around $400-$700 for the pair. What sub will fit my application AND is superior to the Brahma in every way? Or should I take a chance with the MKIII's that I already have on order

Silver Member
Username: Night_mirage

AmmanJordan

Post Number: 457
I would say (2) DD 3500..

but u have to do the perfect BOX for them

visit www.ddaudio.com and the DD's forum .

2nd choice would be Brahmas

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6046
so you want 2 10's in a 1.5 seaed box???

giving each sub .75 cubes of air?

your only choice is like an IDq.

Post Number: 4
I'm spooked about the brahmas mk III reliability. Do you still recommend them as the best subs for this box? I think the box might be too small airspace for the DD's

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6052
you didn't answer my question...lol

how much airspace will each sub have?

you might be better of with 1 12"

the 2512 has a mounting depth of 6-7/16":-)

Bronze Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 46
Dood....SI's? Trade them in. Wont be sorry.

Post Number: 5
MuDDY yeah roughly 1.5cuft actually a bit more cause I had the box made 1/4" taller than original spec. I do plan to cheat on airspace by polyfill stuffing. I have no choice on the box size because of my shallow trunk. But I will not compromise from getting a hard hitting SQ sub to fit in there.

I just now found out about FI audio. Scott from Resonant Engineering has his own line of subs. I sent him a PM to see if maybe he will buid something custom for me.

It seems like the trend now is all these double stacked magnets for visual appeal, but it makes shallow mounting a total PITA. I know it makes a powerful sub, but I think the designs are also somewhat gimmicky. I know there is only so much excursion to be had in a shallow mount.

Silver Member
Username: Night_mirage

AmmanJordan

Post Number: 461
ops , 4 sure this would be small ..

for that size i would say as MuDDy Said IDq

but if u can make another box for DD's it would be perfect .

get 2500 series or even 1000 , Its loud also .

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 49
x2 for IDQ.

Post Number: 6
The box was hard enough to acquire...Trust me Theres not much enclosures that fit AND look nice in a 3000GT and still keep functionality. So I'm not getting another box. It is PRE-CUT for two 10's.

BTW SI mag only comes in 12 and 15 so I can't trade into those.

Post Number: 7
The old gen Image dynamic subs don't have the SPL output and wattage that I'm looking for... The new generation ID's don't fit in my box. I want to push 500-700RMS clean and loud.

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 51
Hmmm...Bostons will fit the bill, as they have some serious low pro's....but i have never used them.

Ill measure some sh!t at the shop...bbl.

Post Number: 8
here is pretty much what I am working with...

[IMG]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d931b3127cce8a99f0f195b300000016108QaOHDR o0aG[/IMG]
Well I guess this site doesnt accept IMG tags

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2993
AA Arsenals or Assassins
SS RL-i's
ID10's
Treo SSI
Zapco i-Force
Arc 10's
eD 11Kv.2
SI MB

thats about all i can think of right now. all will work in your air space and mounting depth. all are reputable subs, but whether they are as good as or better then the Brahma is subjective. the brahmas, like the Avalanche and other XBL2 motor subs reproduce the lows like crazy but have poor upper extension.

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 59
Thanks. I got involved in an install and plumb forgot.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2554
y not invert your subs save some box space at he same time didnt read the whole thing is there a reason you cant do this

Post Number: 9
yeah look at the pic I posted (thats not my box but nearly identical in the same kind of car. The tonneau cover will barely clear as-is. I want to be able to hide my system, besides inverted subs would probably hit the hatch glass.

I've talked to Steve from ficaraudio and he is recommending a pair of his SSD subs. I am so confused now because everyone is biased.

Is a supersub to much for this enclosure? My first amp will be bridged 500w@4ohm and then I will be upgrading to the Alpine MRD-1005 1000w x1 @2ohm. The box is SEALED. I just want a hard hitting SQ sub to fit that box and amp but this is proving to be a challenge. I read the fi website and the SSD subs are the everyday general line subs. I am looking for top notch not run of the mill.
guys please keep the suggestions coming.

I watched a few vids and the RE subs look very nice, you can definately tell the quality of design.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1243
wait im still confused. only .75 cubes each sub? or 1.5 for each?

Post Number: 10
the sealed dual 10" box is 1.5 cuft total with 7" mounting clearance. My main priority is SQ,I am definately into sonic purity more than anything else.... but don't recommend any wimpy subs,I want a reliable pair of subs that are built like a tank. I want and should also be able to pound pavement from 1000rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us