Will i need a new alternator

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 309
Ok im gonna be getting 2 15" L7s with my kicker zx1500.1 amp will my alternator be able to handle this setup becuz right now i have 2 12" L7s with kicker zx1500.1 amp and my alternator handles this really good .

Silver Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 611
wtf.... it doesnt matter how many subs you have, just how much power your amps take up

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1788
get the ho alt.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 311
alright but wont the amp have to struggle more to push 15"s instead of 12"s thats why i was asking if i would need a new alternator im gonna be using the same amp which is zx1500.1 which is benched at 1769 watts but just didnt know if it would struggle cuz im adding 3 more inches to each sub

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1789
wtf?^^^

and i read your other thread about how your wondering if that amp will push the 15"s. without that amp. getting the proper power from your charging system then don't expect to see what it says on the birth sheet that came with it. so get the ho alt. or don't run so much power.

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew571

Post Number: 51
it only matters what wattage ur pulling from ur car, it doesnt care if ur using the amps to power a lightbar on top of ur car, or two 15 inch subs. But anyways, 1769 watts is alot dude, I'd go HO if i was you...

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 614
the amp isnt gonna strain itself with different size subs, it doesnt have a brain to think to itself hmmm i have to try harder with these 15's
it puts out the same power no matter what subs you have hooked up to it

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 312
so another words my car should be running the exact same way that my 12's do as now even when i get the 15's

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 616
yeah and with the same amp you probably wont notice much of a difference when you add the 15's

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1790
yes, the subs don't drain your car, your amps will. what size is the alt. you have now and what else (amps./caps?) you running?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2977
Watts RMS / 12.6 + 50A = Amperage alternator needs

simple as that.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 313
What do u mean i won't notice a difference its gonna be 2 15's vs 2 12's and wouldnt the 15's blow the 12's away even with the same amp becuz the amp is 1769 which is only 231 watts under the 15" subs

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 269
your gonna notice a slight increase in sound....but not that much...its going to be the same power you are using now the only difference is going to be the surface area of the subs which is going to make it allittle louder but I wouldnt expect too much..

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1794
yeah your not going to notice a difference as in right now you can be heard 2 blocks away but with the 15"s you'll be heard 5 blocks away. i'd say unless you get a different amp. it'll be a waste of money to buy the 15"s.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 314
so even with the same amp the 15's i'll be able to hear like 5 blocks away cuz its more surface area and the 12's i will be heard 2 blocks away with the same amp, what if i would get a 2000 watt amp how many blocks away can i be heard then with the 15's

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1796
all wrong^^^
it was just a metaphor to help you understand you wont be able to hear a huge difference in the two.

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 617
more like 15's 2 blocks 12's 1.75 blocks

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 619
didnt bump

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 315
ok well then watz a good amp that would put out a clean 2000 watts cuz i dont think kicker makes a 2000 watt amp it skips right up to 2500.1 amp which would be to much wouldnt it

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 316
which would be a good amp for 2 15's and power it good

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5614
lol i like how you guys are using "how many blocks away" as your output.

btw how many blocks away can i be heard with 2 fi BTL 15s in a 36hz tuned box with 2 orion 2500d?

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 222
The distance you can be heard has a lot to do with the shape of a vehicle too.Inside my van it's pretty loud but outside it doesn't seem too loud.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1797
chad, i was just using the "blocks away" thing to try to help him understand the output differences between the 12"s and 15"s. didn't seem like he was really understanding what everyone was trying to explain to him.

and chris, your subs are dual 2ohm right, since you have the 1500.1? why not try a pair of nine.1's, they'd work well with those subs and would cost you just under $600 brand new.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5615
i know man. like i said i like that comparison.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1798
by bad, guess i misunderstood:-)

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5621
cool. :-)

getting back to the topic. yes you should get a ho alt. that kicker amp performs its best at 14.4v. i will guarantee your stock alt won't be 14.4v playing your system.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5622
bump

Silver Member
Username: Mygame5982

H-TOWN, TEXAS US

Post Number: 483
hey chris how do you like that system?? Im about to get that same setup!

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 317
What would be a good amp for 2 15"s l7's would the kicker zx2500.1 amp be way to much power for it like would it blow it or is there any other good amps that r reliable

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 622
chad
you will be lucky if people hear you from your garage to the end of your driveway

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5633
good to hear man. my driveway is like 100 yards. i live in a mansion. lol.

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 625
get on aim chad

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

IA US

Post Number: 1374
i dont see you getting more than 1200rms out of that amp with a stock alt and without big 3.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us