Big problem!!

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 213
ok so i just in stalled my systyem and i opened my trunk today to look at my subs rite after listening to them and it smelled bad, kinda like burning. im assuming i blew my subs but they still sound ok so idk. i think i might have my gains set a little too high but idk what my output voltage is from my IEC AULOC line output converter, its adjustable but idk what the maximum or minimum voltage is on it. the subs dont make any werid noises like any clipping sounds or any distortion they just smell bad and i am at most over powering them by 150 rms each. o by the way i have 2 kappa perfect 12.1s and a PG R15:0.1

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 770
Are they brand new? might just be burning off extra glue from the coils

Silver Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 114
hmmm your best bet to make sure your gains are right is to set them with a voltmetere easily found at home depot in the electrical tooks department. next is to follow these two sites to set teh gains http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp to figure out your target voltage and also http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

also are you using a stock head unit or anything with bass knobs on there? also if your amp has a bass boost try not to set it to hi on there. i had the same problem you did with ym arsenals and the bass boost caused a lot of distortion and caused my speakers to smell to. i actually bought another amp that wouldnt distort to much. also it could be them breaking in but i wouldnt risk it. make sure the wiring is correct to. hope some of this helped

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 214
yea just got them in yesterday. but i never really pushed them as hard as i just did. But it was only for like 10 minutes. but yea it could have been glue or somthing but i really have no idea, it just smelled bad. my home stereo subwoofer used to make a similar smell when i really pushed it and eventually it completely blew so idk, im kinda worried.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1102
push on the cone and see if it makes a scratchy noise if it does then its blown

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 390
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums