Opinions wanted: Front soundstage

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 205
I just bought a 97 yukon and i was thinking of a new front soundstage for it, tell me what you think.
Mb Quart premiums or Diamond audio hex for the mids and highs in qlogic kickpanels(reinforced with extra 'glass of course).
Adire extremis for the midbass in the doorpanels.
CDT Image Enhancement Kit up in the a-pillars to bring the front stage up.
Is there a good passive xover i can use for all this? Possibly something from CDT or will i have to use separate xovers for everything? Does this sound feasible or should i just buy the midbass add-on from whichever brand of comps. i go with instead of the adire to simplify things? I will run this off a phoenix gold xenon 200.2 amp and I would like to send somewhere between 150-200 wrms to this. Loud, stomach twisting sound quality is what I'm after (is this possible? lol)and I listen to mostly hard rock like TOOL with some classic rock ,80's and trance thrown in. I have A/D/S 236IS comps with the CDT IE kit and i want to step up. Thanks for any and all opinions

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2956
if your looking at the CDT upsatge kit, why not look at some CDT comps too?? the HD's with the crossovers that have the upstage outputs, some upstage tweeters and you should be good to go. talk to Alteraudio.

but if not, then i'd go with the Quarts over the Diamonds. Diamonds just aren't all they are cracked up to be imo. the only problem with the MB Premiums is lack of mid bass.

Silver Member
Username: Cavsmaxima

New York United States

Post Number: 206
dumb question what is imo i see it everywhere lol

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1770
imo-in my opinion

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 208
HOW OBVIOUS!!!! lolol

Silver Member

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 206
Brandon: Thanks for the input, I appreciate your positive comment.
I am really looking for some improved output over what i have now do you think the HD 3 way kit W/Upstage will give me what i am looking for or should i go HD 2 way set W/adire extremis? And as always, i am looking for what will be more cost effective.

Chris Cavs: There is no dumb question if you've learned something from it and were looking for some positive input from people regardless of how many times similair threads are posted. I have offered my opinions in many such threads. With that being said, if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all. You're just wasting threadspace IMO. Thanks, bye-bye then!

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 218
With that being said, if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all. You're just wasting threadspace IMO. Thanks, bye-bye then!

What are you talking about?

Silver Member

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 207
Chris cavs: "dumb question what is imo i see it everywhere lol" if this is referring to my question then that is what i am talking about. The way you asked that question could have been taken different ways since you didnt use any punctuation, I.E as in saying my question was dumb in your opinion as you see that kind of question asked all the time and you were laughing at me or if you meant it as in "What does IMO mean?? If thats what you meant and i didnt understand what you were saying before i jumped all over you because i've had a difficult weekend with little sleep then i humbly apologize to you publicly for being so negative myself and ask for your forgiveness.

Silver Member

New York United States

Post Number: 220
yeah i was just wondering what imo ment lol, no big deal i accept your apology

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1248
if you are able to properly image the tweets and mids than there is no need to add a frontstage kit. If i were you i'd just add something like the Dayton Reference 8in driver in the doors move the ADS mid to the kick and get the CDT DRT-26SAT with the 3way ES-300CC. You will want a good amount of power, lie 200rms or more.

Silver Member

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 208
Chris: Thank you

Alteraudiousa: will the dayton reference handle the power? I found the reference rs225 on parts express but its only rated for 80wrms? Do you like the dayton better then the adire extremis for hard hitting impact? Also I wanted to keep the a/d/s set for the work commuter car i will be getting so i really need another component set to work with for the yukon. What do you recommend and thanks for responding.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2962
just because a speaker is rated at one power doesn't mean it can't take more. as long as its a reputable brand and as long as the power you feed the speakers is clean, they will take the power.

i agree with alter about the upstage kit not really being necessary if you can spend a little time on the component install. kicks are great, but don't always work in every car.

the Extremis seems to perform like a sub, best in a sealed or ported box. and both the Adire and Dayton drivers have 4+ inches of mounting depth...something you might wanna check out.

i'm not sure how an HD 2 way set with either mid bass driver would blend though.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11624
I'd go with a matched 3 way set.
rainbow profi or dynaudio system 340 or 360
something like that

Silver Member

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 209
This decision keeps getting tougher with more options lol. Thanks for everyone responding first off.

Glasswolf: I would love rainbows or dynaudio matched 3 ways but i dont know if i can afford them. I am trying to keep the new front stage at around $450 or less preferably for everything.Any other matched set you would recommed in that price range or under thats better then my a/d/s 2 way's?

Brandon: I guess i could seal my doors up if i needed to for the adire's or the dayton's. This is all going in a 97 yukon where the doors are pretty deep, i will go measure later today.The stock speaker locations are 6 1/2 in. in the lower front doors, with a tweeter in the front part of the armrest pointing kinda up and at an angle. And the yukon is wide so I thought maybe kickpanels would work well with so much width to produce a stereo image. Right now i have an s10 blazer that my system is in and its so narrow, its tough to get a good image.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2987
i'd definally look into a matched set vs a DIY set unless you really know what you are doing. also, DIY is best run active, meaing a seperate amplified channel for each speaker...rather involved and can be more expencive.

i don't know if you'll find a 3 way set for $450. can't think of any right now. but i can suggest a great 2 way set for $450, Rainbow Germaniums. killer set, tons of options built into the crossover system, very flexable. or the Profi's or Profi Vanadiums.

sealing up your doors and dapening them well will help out any speaker set you decide to go with.

Silver Member

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 210
Thanks brandon. i will look into those rainbows perhaps. Maybe later on down the line i can add a midbass or something. Also if i just get a new 2 way set instead of a 3 way for now should i stick them in the stock locations or should i put them into kicks? thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us