Deck or amp??

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineduder

So u can jack up my sy..., Hell no C-a-n-a-d-a

Post Number: 70
So i got a JVC deck and its 200W, ive got some 6.5" RF T1's that are 75W RMS, 150W MAX. I have a 230 W clarion amp is it worth it to hook it to these speakers over the deck. Since the amp is only 30W more will it make a big diffrence?

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 814
yes because that deck is only putting out about 15rms

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2339
put the amp

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 477
amp it! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5581
amp.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 988
Head unit power is one of the most misleading advertisements there are in car audio.

1) the 200w ratins is for "max power", and max power is a meaningless spec intended primarily to hook the casual consumer (you).

2) by 200w it means 50w into 4 channels (MAX)

3) the REAL (rms) power of the typical HU will be rated (typically) at 15-20w x 4 ch

4) on top of that - the actual TESTED power of the typical HU generally falls in the 12-15w per channel range, however some of the newer units are actually getting 20w or so per channel.

What it comes down to is, realistically, you can probably expect about 15w (rms) from your HU to each of your speakers.

On the other hand...
I don't know the actual specs on your clarion amp, but I'll assume it's a 2 ch amp rated for 230w bridged into 4 ohms. That translates into 115w x 2 ch into 2 ohms. Your speakers are most likely 4 ohms which will bring it down to 60-80w x 2.

So you're looking at WAY underpowering them with your HU, or powering them just about perfectly with the amp.

That explains the "USE THE AMP!" responses.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2355
some HUs are CEA compliant
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us