Not sure which speakers to choose?

Bronze Member
Username: Hamjones2

Post Number: 30
Ok if I were to get a sony head unit, say... a CDX-A250 or CDX-GT550S or CDX-GT350S (they are all about 4 x 50W), what would be a good set of speakers to compliment one of these units? Would I go for sony speakers? I don't really have any idea about how speakers and wattage and stuff works. I know i'm probably not going to get an amplifier or subwoofer but I want speakers that still packa punch and have a fair bit of bass (I listen to mostly rock and metal)
Are those sony Xplode speakers any good? How much would I expect to pay (AU) for a decent set? Any other recomendations?
Thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 284
Some things to think about and respond to:

-While they make quality products in other areas, Sony is not known for quality in car audio. Do a search for Sony in the forum and you'll get far more passionate responses to the same effect. I would recommend looking elsewhere for both the deck and the speakers.

-The 4x50 on the deck (as with all car head units) is a Max rating. What you're interested in are the RMS ratings which identify the constant output power of the internal amplifier in the head unit. The Max rating only indicates the extreme high end of the output range and is, for the most part, completely useless.

-Speakers will also have a Max and RMS rating, indicating how much power they can take for short bursts (Max) and constant (RMS). If you're not planning on amping the speakers separately then it's going to come down to what sound best to you as most entry to mid level speakers will have an RMS range of somewhere between 2 and 100W RMS, with lower end speakers generally handling less power safely. While most aftermarket head units will have an internal amp that puts out somewhere in the range of 18-24W RMS. As such you'll want to sample as many speakers as you can to determine the kind of sound you prefer.

-As far as pricing goes, it's far easier if you tell us how much you're willing to spend. Again, an entry level to mid level set of coaxial speakers can run anywhere between $30 and $120 and up with component sets (speaker sets with a separate mid-range driver and tweeter and an external crossover) being somewhat more expensive (and that's US, sorry I don't know what that would make them in AU currency).

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 222
If your looking for a one brand does all? Try Pioneer. Great HU, Good Amps and real nice sounding speakers(wont play at the blood from ears level but stays linear and loud levels). I have an 860 HU that I tried to sell a few weeks back(no offers). I installed it in my Runner a few days back and man does it sound good!

I've heard Pioneer speakers in other systems and allways got the impression they real great sounding for the money. You can get there new hiEnd 6.5 two ways for $200. off Ebay and list is over $500. A may just try a pair myself!

2076_310069894_291263623_tab=B%2C00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent ,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069894_2 91263623_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

Benny.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 223
pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069894_291263623_tab =B,00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

Bronze Member
Username: Hamjones2

Post Number: 31
Ok yeah the reason I was thinking about Sony is because I was in a store the other day and I saw that they had a fair range of sony decks with and AUX input in the front, and thats something I definately want. I'll have another look around.

Is it necessary to get 4 speakers or will 2 be sufficient? At the moment my car only has 2 speakers at the front so I would have to get the speakers professionaly installed and wired in the back (which I don't mind).
About the RMS, what am I looking for exactly in a good set of speakers, what RMS would those 50W speakers have?
One more thing, I had a look at those $500 pioneer speakers and they say 200W max, how come I see speakers that say 1000W max for only about $100? Its all very confusing.
I'm looking at spending around $380US for the head and speakers.
Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4780
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us