Father and son project...pls help

Username: Jhudson

Post Number: 1
I have given my 1985 F150 to my 16 yr old son. It has had many radios in it, and has no wiring harness in it, just lots of wires hanging there. He wants to put in a new CD player he has bought, but of course we don't know which wires are which. We want to do this together, not just have someone else do it. The new player has a harness. Where do we start? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 322
I'm assuming the truck originally had a harness and it's been cut apart over the years with all the other stereo that were put in?

Username: Jhudson

Post Number: 2
yes, that is correct. Is there a universal harness I can get to hook to the wires in the truck, that will then connect to the harness on the new radio?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 323
try this website and see if it may be easier just to solder the wires from the dash to those coming from the HU instead of using a wiring harness at all.

http://www.installdr.com

I'm sure you can get the blank harness somewhere if you really want to spend the extra time piecing the wires back into it

Silver Member
Username: Leew

Ketchikan, ALASKA USA

Post Number: 624
Jim.You have to run a new "battery" wire aka constant wire...
This is two wiring diagrams for your ford,check out by the wires, which one belongs to the your radio...just compare speaker wire!
application/x-zip-compressedUpload
1985 ford f150 radio.zip (21.6 k)

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2939
if your up for it, i'd go ahead and run all new wire and upgrade the sizes and quality. wireing in the car is prob old. all you need is a constant wire, typically yellow, ran from the battery. a ACC lead, typically red, fan from an ACC slot on the fuse box. ground, black, from just about anywhere metal on the truck. then your speaker wires. no real need for anything else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us