Most stupid stereo thing you have ever done?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1528
Just like it says...

Here is mine, I am a bass boost freak, regularly around a good 9db's makes me happy. Well one day I decided to strap another amp to my sub and it sounded good but something was missing. I went over all the wiring and never actually found anything, so I dialed in some more BB. Well on one hot summer day from adding soo much BB it caused my sub to overheat and warp the VC, still never found what was wrong UNTIL today. I was looking at the RCAs and I noticed one was in the wrong hole, lol. It was playing when I noticed this and when I plugged it in the right one it got extremely loud. This falls into you usually cannot damage a sub by underpowering it but coupled with bass boost, you can. Bass boost requires a great deal of power to retain control. This sub is sooo fricken loud almost made me want to cry and the spiders have not even broken in yet... So what has anyone else done? Polo.. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 175
Umm...I ran a 5hz test tone through my sub when I was drunk, then I smelled the voice coil and was like uh oh...shut it down but it smelled sooo bad for like 3 days haha.The sub died shortly after but lesson learned :-( Don't mess with your system when you're drunk!

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 461
i was installing my subs and i crapped my pants

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 368
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3326
A friend and I did a total install one night b4 an SPL comp...we built a ~5cuft SPL box, installed amps, HU, subs, everything. At about 3am (the show started at 10am) we finally got down to wiring the amp. It was dark in the truck and we didnt have a flash lite. We hooked the gound up and touched the power to the terminal...POP!..Smoke!...fv.ck!!.

Blew a 200A fuse and WELDED 1/0ga wire to the amps terminals! We had wired the amp backwards...gound to +, + to ground. We worked the wire loose and hooked it up right, but didnt have any more fuses...so we ran without a fuse on the power wire.

When all was said and done...he only did 138.4dB w/ an Audiobahn Immortal 15 and the Cadence z1777. The next month he got 3 more Immortals and was gonna do a wall w/ em. But he killed all 4 of them in the shop parking lot...he was litterally launchin dustcaps and the glue on the spiders was pulling away from the basket. This was w/ a cadence ZRS-9 and a audiobahn recommended daily box. (he would kill a 15, then swap it for an other...they lasted about 30mins each!!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
hahaha paul your pics are the best nah but the stupidest thing ive done is is the same like marshall lol put the posotive in the negative and negative in the posotive then all you see is a big @ss spark and i ggot scared lol it was at night too and i couldnt hold the flashlight and screw down the wire at the same time lol

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 695
Probably the stupidest thing I've done would be 2 months ago when I picked up my Recoil RED1000.1 .. I went to install it and put it on the side of my trunk. I screwed it in through the carpeting on the side of the trunk and thought nothing of it.. Hooked it all up and I blew two 80amp fuses .. So I replaced the one in the block and hooked it back up. POP! .. blew all 4 35A fuses in the amp and then it smoked. I got another the replacement amp in and it did the same thing when I hooked it up again.. After the 2nd time I realized what had happened.. One of the mounting screws went into a wire in my trunk send power to the case of the amp.. Lol. All in all the next time I mounted it on a piece of wood then the wood to the side of the trunk.

Silver Member
Username: Timothy_314

Post Number: 242
i got scared once my cap :-( ground came out i was like aight ill put it back in.... it f*ckin SPARKED LIKE CRAZY :-( it scared the sh*t outta me but i didn't crap my pants lmao :-)

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4131
"and the spiders have not even broken in yet"

Sorry, but if you've had your sub since the summer, they're "broken in." I'd like to know what even makes you think they haven't, as some people argue that subs do not need break-in periods. How would you define a sub as "broken in."

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1776
"i was installing my subs and i crapped my pants"

wtf lol

Well ive done that several times with touching pos neg, but 1 time i had my amps power and ground hooked up and i was reinstalling my subs and i was screwin my neg on to the amp channel and the pos accidentaly touched the power and THUMP!! I wuz like wtf and it fucked my system up when i would try to hear my system nuttin but loud azz thumping would appear no matter wut i did, i asked on here wut happened but no one knew, but i figured i fucked up my RCA plugs somehow or blew a fuse on my HU, so i just wired a lineout converter and now im using that lol....

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1208
when everyone says you hooked up the positive and negative wrong... do you mean you put the ground wire in the power wire terminal and put the power in the ground terminal??

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1530
Joe, I just got it back yesterday from Treo. The spiders are SUPER stiff, when hey break in a bit the spiders soften a touch and it takes less power to reach full excursion, sounds a bit better also. You can actually hear it, on a very low volume level the sub will sound like it is only playing the heaviest of notes, like something holding it back. This sucker is stiff, even stiffer than the first time I had it maybe they c hanged something, they wouldn't say... :-)

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 700
When I got my RE SX back from a recone is was stiffer than it was new but after it was broke in it was looser than before.. strange how it works but w/e lol.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4143
I know exactly how it works. You never said you sent the sub back into Treo. Yes, most subs are very stiff, that's just how it is. What exactly did you have done to the sub? Did they do a recone? Of course they put in a new spider when the sub is reconed, and yes they will be slightly stiffer, but it doesn't take much to losten them up.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 908
While installing a curcuit breaker for my X811D,I put a screw thru all four of my rem wires, I couldnt figure it out at first, The relay was red hot, tried to jump by the relay, still nothing. stopped had a smoke, asked, "what had changed" removed the screw and all is fine.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1533
My fault Joe, I was trying to keep it on the down-low that the sub I was talking about was my new Treo SSX 15.11. The were going to recone it but I threw a fit and got it replaced. I marked the basket in a very hidden spot to ensure they didn't send me the original one back again. These spiders are stiffer, much stiffer than the original ones (when new). I have been running test ones variable from 20-70hz via laptop and they are still stiff but getting there. I know most people say you don't need a break in but what can it hurt, right? Polo..

My Hoopty, lol. Funny is that two car seats go on both sides of that hole.. :-O

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2283
well i guess the stupidest thing i've evr done is wired a HU up wrong in a car, not sure what i did wrong but when i turned the car on it fried the HU, blew the fuse, and messed up all the speakers. good thing the car was a POS to begin with.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1076
u did a good job of hiding the wires...lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1534
Not there for looks, obviously lol! I have a problem, I am a bass head and I am always looking for an edge over these young little punks that think they can beat me with some kicker or audiobauhn crap so I am contstantly changing, so there is no need to bolt/hide anything, just gonna change it anyways, LMFAO..

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4146
Mmm, looks yummy Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 186
is your box made out of particle board? it hasnt fallen apart lol most people say particle boxes suck but yours looks like its holding up runnin that ssx

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 179
Nice pink speaker wire lol!

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5916
i think the stupidest thing i have ever done was play a song called "Halloween Bass" by Swisherhouse....right after i got my new bass amp(DLS A6) w/o the Sub-son filter on in a 40hz box.:-)

WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2432
if i am correct polo has a tcab box lol i think i remember him saying that.

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1113
uh, i bough 2 audiobahn flame q's

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1539
DAMN IT CHARLIE!! It isn't particleboard but OSB (orientated strand board)It has been treated with resin/fiberglass. It is a BUTT load lighter than MDF, not as dense but plenty rigid. This box contains no braces and does not flex, braces=turbulance and reduced spl.Polo..

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 180
Seriously,what's up with those pink wires?Lol.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1540
I don't know about you but I only pump things that are pink, once in a while I'll do the brown, lol. Those are high current, high strand monster wire, very flexible. My brother in law got me a spool for free so that is what I use, lol. Come pull up next to me, IT WON'T MATTER what color they are! :-O

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1789
"Nice pink speaker wire lol!" LMAO

lol pink wirez, datz fu*kin tight!!

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 181
Uh oh polo!What are you hitting on the TL?You sure you want me to pull up next to you?I might have to out bass you buddy :-( I'm here in chicago too so...we can try it we'll do it on a TL somewhere here? :-)I won't even wire down to .25 ohm either :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5492
i guess the stupidest thing i did was buying sony explode 4 ch amp. whats even more stupid was i was bragging to my friends about my amp. lol. then i found this site and got rid of that thing.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1544
lol Chad lol. Hey Robert what ya sportin? Polo..

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1792
LMAO Chad datz how it goes and im sure most of us didnt know sh!t bout car audio till we meet dis site, god bless ecoustics!!! lol jk

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9068
well i can normally play my stereo about 4hrs str8 without my engine being on (since i have a oversized batt) but 2 times i forgot how long i was playing it for & batt drained out on me - had 2 call some1 4 a jumpstart ...lol........

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1796
lol dat sux, wut up Rovin havnt talked to ya in a while.....mine dies with in minutes with out my engine on so it sux....

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1797
Hey Polo i think hes sportin a 18" kicker solo x

Silver Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 567
^^^ correct he is zac davis installed it with him i think

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 569
^^^ correct he is zac davis installed it with him i think

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1799
ya i think i remember a post by Zac Davis sayin "Roberts van is crazy loud!!!"

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2439
lol so i was right your welcome on that one polo. actually i was reading a post on the dd forum where someone tested some form of plyood against mdf it wasnt just regualr plywood he paid like 50 bucks for a sheet or something but he tested them both and the plywood was sturdier and didnt flex as much and also its lighter so i thought that was pretty cool

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1519
started unscrewing the power wire for the amp when it was still connected to the battery......sparks were flyiiiinnngggg

Silver Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 111
thinking my dual 12's were loud until i saw this site. then i got rid of them and bought the arsenals

Username: Dont_know_what_to_do

Post Number: 2
I KNOW THAT THIS ISNT THE RIGHT SPOT BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE 2 8" JL AUDIO SUBS HIT HARDER WITOUT SPENDING ANYMORE MONEY

Bronze Member
Username: Noviceinstaller

Here, There

Post Number: 38
steal an(other?) amp......

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
lol^^^ yep thats the only way cause youre gonna need another amp and possibly subs if you want louder lol

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 182
Yea...I'm running an 18'' Solo X powered by a MMATS amp.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5527
^^^^^the man of the hour is here. lol

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 184
W00± I'm the man of the HOUR!!!YES! :-) I feel special,too bad I only have like 50 more minutes of being the man of this hour though :-( Bad news my van got smashed by a big azz box truck lol :-( But the system is alright!So nobody worry.

Silver Member
Username: Cavsmaxima

New York United States

Post Number: 180
stupidest thing i ever done was listen to a friend tell me how good my sony xplod amp was. lol

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 592
poor van my heart goes out to you

congrats being the man of the hour lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1557
Well Robert, looks like I will have to pull up to you now! Sorry to hear that, is it totalled? Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 263
Hooking up 3rd of 4 subs, left wires for last sub open, touched ipod case(metal case)...

BAM...

Bronze Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 24
I would say installed a bass boost, but since ive never been retarded enough to install a "remote woofer cooker', ill settle for wiring an amp backwards, while drunk,.........twice.

With two of three amps in one night.

2 of the three survived.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 939
Joined eCoustics, lol

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 221
The van is not totalled,just injured :-( I just want it to last through winter then I'm getting a small car either a Civic hatch or a CRX.Or something small like that :-) I plan on running to 18'' X's.I want to get in the mid 160's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us