OT: power wires.. need help in the next 30 mins please

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 317
I just got an offer from a guy up at the shop, he'll cut me 20 feet of 0/0awg cable for 40 bucks and he'll throw in the ring terminals for free... I know 2 bucks a food is dirt cheap, but do you think I should do it?

Also, does it matter if I use an 0/0awg cable on my 1000 watt cap, I plan to upgrade my cap and amp later but want to put the wire in now.. is it okay to use the 0/0awg wire on my cap?

My plan was to run the 0/0awg ground a positive to the cap, then 4awg from the cap to the amp since my amp now only takes 4awg inputs... and later upgrade the wires from the cap to a new amp.

wise or not wire??

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 190
why dont you just get a distributor that cuts down from 0 to 4, then just get two 4gauge leads comin off that and send 4 and 4 to the cap and amp???

Username: Slickmanarino

Post Number: 2
I would definatly go with the 1/0 guae wire to the cap, also if you have a ho altinator upgrade your factory power from the alt to the bat w/ 1/0 and the ground from the battery with 1/0, trust me its worth the time. also consider a dry cell bat over the compacitor because a compacitor has to keep at least 12.6 volts in it and it can actually rob power from your amp. if you allready have the cap use it under the hood no more than 16 inches away from the power output from the altinator then to the battery. it's a little trick to keep some strain off the alt and also can eliminate any engine wine.

Pioneer Premier 860
Alpine V12 345
Diamond Audio D6 5 1/4 components
Diamond Audio D6 6 1/2 components
Kicker 4 06s15L7d2
Memphis Audio 2 mojo's
stinger 290 amp alt
stinger dry cell deep cycle
die hard gold under hood

1/0 guage wire w/upgraded factory wiring to 1/0

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 319
I got the wiring, and the o rings he was talking about are $30 bucks alone, so I basically got 22 feet of 0/0awg cable for $10 :-)

I'm pretty happy about it, it's the ugly brown cable, but there's alot of it!

Oh, and I've never done anything with the alternator in my car, but I'm going to make my own upgrade kit for it..

My battery grounds to the chassis with an 8awg cable... that's what I plan to upgrade FIRST. I suspect this could be causing alot of lost power since I'm currently using 4awg from the cap to the chassis and soon to be 0/0awg.

One last thing before I go..

The wire he gave me is "POWERFLEX Ultra w/ Magnetic Flux Tube by Monster Cable".. from what I can tell it's a great wire.. it's normally $6.00 a ft here and online it's $4.50 per foot, $8.95 shipping first foot, $1.00 per foot afterwards.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 320
http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3068&section=four

My bad, I basically got the wire for .05 cents, because the o-rings are $39.95

Bronze Member
Username: Slickmanarino

Post Number: 14
great deal i got about 800 in wire alone, definatly upgrade all you under the hood wire to 1/0. picture a garden hose and if you use to small of wire you constrict the water flow on a garden hose there is no over kill when it comes to upgrading wire under the hood and it also allows you to expand down the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us