Pinout Identification on Ford OEM CD radio

Username: Ebluekeys

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
I'm swapping out my old casette OEM for a newer ford CD OEM unit. The old one has the typical pair of black & grey 8 pin connectors. The new one has a place for the GREY (power) connector, but it has a row of THREE connectors where the old BLACK connector would be. Looks like 2, 8 and 2 pins respectively. What are the pin assignments for these connectors? Does this CD/Radio require an outboard amp? If so, I can do the wiring/patching, but I need to know what goes to what pins on these 3 connectors. HELP!! The new radio is a single height Ford unit with CD player as found in 93 to 98 ford PROBE. I've attached picture of both the old (bottom) and new. Also, where can I purchase mating plugs? Upload

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 132
The newer radio was made to be used with the Ford factory amp (hence the different plugs). It outputs a much lower signal level and will not drive speakers properly by itself.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4772
Nothing like Made in Brazil build quality! :-)

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 2
I've discovered that the two large metal plates at the top connector on the right side are actually part of a "shorting plug". There are SIX pins under this plug (it comes out). With this plug IN, it shorts the top two pins of each column together. What function does this serve? Why is it removable? What is the pinout of the 8 pin plug in the middle on the right? I assume it is signal/ground for the 4 speakers. When I power up the unit with a bench supply (13.8 volts to V+ and Ignition, and Ground where indicated) the clock comes on. I can set it and it keeps time. It also accepts a CD and ejects it, but THAT'S ALL. None of the other functions work. What do I need to do to make this come alive. If I could just get it to DO something, I could figure the outputs out with my oscilloscope... Is there some magic "turn on" sequence?? Does this radio need some kind of "code". Does ANYBODY KNOW??

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 274
Well Joe,Bobimpact is right 200%:
This is what you asked:

application/x-zip-compressedUpload
1997 ford probe.zip (58.1 k)

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
Hey, thanks a LOT for the schematic. That will save a lot of time. But what's the little removable "shorting" plug for at the top right? And is there some secret power up sequence, or should the thing come to life with power on V+ and Ign. with ground to ground? You don't say much, but I'll just be you know a whole bunch!! C'mon, spill!! (please)

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 276
Joe,the little removable "shorting" plug for CD CHANGER CONTROL

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 277
I tell ya, any aftermarket HU,will be better and nicer, then this (I am sorry) a piece of crap!
Start new Thread and ask Jexx(He is very Good) what is good...cheap! ....

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 278
BTW.The newer radio from ford mustang 1998

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 4
Figured out why it doesnt work. The CD mechanism and Clock are independent units, and can function without the "audio processor" chip on the main board. The audio processor does all the display control, memory storage and logic in the radio. It is an ST70029SB, and apparently had been replaced once before in this radio, since it was the only chip that had flux deposits on the solder connections, and had some cryptic scrawl on the top in white paint pen. While the chips are available, they are only available in QUANTITY from wholesalers, so for all practical purposes this project is dead. If anyone needs a working CD mechanism, or front panel in excellent shape, let me know and it can be yours cheap!! I'm on my way to my local audio store to pickup a new piece! Thanks for the help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us