4x10's?

Username: Thirtytwo

Post Number: 6
I'm trying to put some new speakers in the back of my tahoe and I was looking at them and it turns out they're 4x10's. This is a wierd sized speaker and its hard to find good brands for it. Do you guys know of a good speaker this size?

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 150
you dont have subs or any other audio equipment? because I have a 99 yukon and those speakers don't matter especially if you have a sound system. But if your going to replace the front, middle, and power them with an amp then the backs don't matter. IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 130
Polk Momo.
Kicker.

Even at that they're polished turds, 4x10 SUCKS as a speaker size.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 173
yeah, thats why you shouldn't even use them, just upgrade the front's and middle.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 137
Esentially imagine how poorly your car would run if the pistons were four inches wide by ten inches across. Then stuff 'em into the tailgate of your tahoe. Then run Reggaeton through them... I don't know where I'm going with this...

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 177
I don't even know why they put 4x10's in their in the first place, they know its useless when upgrading and its quality etc.

Silver Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 138
wow, i thought 4x10s were only used in the rear fill for small trucks. why would they put them in somethign as HUGE as a tahoe?

Post Number: 7
haha alright well i guess that just saved me some money. I was surprised when I saw them since I didn't think they made such skinny speakers. Any suggestions on the fronts and mids?

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 186
yes, but we need to know what your budget is. and are you powering them with a stock headunit, aftermarket headunit, or amp? so yeah.

Post Number: 8
alright my bad. Im pretty much re-doing everything. I'm thinking of running one 3515, not sure on the amp yet, I guess new mids and fronts as well as a head unit. I kinda want to keep it around $1500 total.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 187
lets say the sub is 300 maybe less because I dont know the price, you can get a nine.1 from www.edesignaudio.com for 315 shipped, puts out 1200rms at 1 ohm so get a dual 2 ohm. And that leaves you with like 900 or so left for a Head Unit and speakers. And then that leaves you with a lot of options for what kind of speakers, do you want to power them with an amp? and what kind of Head Unit are you looking for? So yeah. I would talk to alteraudiousa for some speakers (coxial or components) if you go components you'll need a amp for sure to get the best out of them. As for a headunit, you can find one for 200-300 for a decent one. If you dont mind it being used or remanufactured then look on ebay. Hifiaudioonline has some good prices on Headunits to me. I would only look into pioneer though but thats just me. Yeah man you have a lot to work with really but some of these items are just my preference and all. Just leave one if you want to elaborate on what else you want and the price on the subwoofer can help also. also if you want an amp to power the speakers would help also if you want to include that as a "item you want also" thing or w/e.

Post Number: 9
alright man thanks a lot. That really helps, I guess I got a lot more looking to do.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 191
No problem, but maybe you should drop by and tell us your final decision, that way we can determine if its good, bad, or if its good because your on a budget. All depends on your preference also. But yeah man, drop by and tell us what you plan to get so we can help so you won't regret what you get later on. But seeing that your getting a DD 3515 seems like you know whats good out there also. But if you need references for where to go and all that just hit us up.

Post Number: 10
Alright here's what I have so far:
http://hifiaudioonline.com/inc/sdetail/283 head unit
http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=3500d sub

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6523.html amp
I'm not sure how good this amp is so some feedback on that would be cool. Also, I'm having a hard time choosing speakers. I was thinking CDT but I only have like $450 left over for 4 6.5s so I don't know if I could afford 2 pairs of those. Umm yeah I guess any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 203
Whats the price for the 3500D subwoofer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
im not positive, i was going by your 300.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 206
I think it might be more around 400, read on some other thread someone said the 12 cost like under 400 so the 15 must be a little more. so say thats going to give you about 600 left... Why don't you look into the audioque, same thing as the DD just a little degraded. You can get the HD315, and can put 1000-3000rms on it. 374Shipped. But thats just me. And then get that HU and Amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
im kinda set on the dd, even if i gotta throw in the extra money. Any idea on the speakers though?

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 217
so you said 450 left for the speakers. I would go components. You have a wide range of options, cdt, polk, mb quart, and some other ones that I can't think of. But if you go components, hope you have atleast a 400-800 x4 @ 4ohms amp to get the best out of them. www.woofersetc.com to look up some speakers (cdt/polk,mb quart) prices are whack but you could get them somewhere else for cheaper. maybe ebay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I apologize for being new at this and not really understanding the whole ohms things, but would that mean that I need to buy another amp for just the speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1247
drop the rear speakers as a 4x10 is a worthless speaker especially in the rear. I would get a good component set up front, coaxials in the back doors and the subs in the rear. You'll need two amps or one big one but I'd go for two amps one for your speakers and one for your subs.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 218
not necessarily, if you buy component speakers then you "want" an amplifier to compliment them to get the best of sounds out of them. If you go coxial you really "in my opinion" won't need an amplifier as much but would be nice also. These speakers your talking about usually have a 4ohm single voice coil, meaning that when you connect it to an amp it recognized that it can give this much watts at 4ohms. So getting a amp with specs like "200"x4@4ohms would be nice to amplify your speakers with. 200 meaning number of watts, x4 < how many speakers "or channels on the amp.", "4ohms" meaning at 4ohms it can give out 200watts x 4channels. If you get my drift. But your necessarily don't need 200x4, you can probaly do with like 100x4@4ohms instead. Meaning all 4 speakers are getting 100 watts each. Hope that helped. Just something to consider.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 219
HU - 230
sub - 400
sub amp - 340

cash available - 1500 minus
total 970
= 570 left.

If I were you, I would still go for a nine.1 amp. only 315. why? because I feel as if the nine.1 is probaly more durable than the hifonics, but thats just in my opinion. plus it looks better haha. If you choose the nine.1 you would have 600 left. another 235 you can get a nine.4 amp to power your highs and your left with like 370 or so to get a pair of quality speakers. thats just all me though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Alright, I ordered the head unit yesterday BUT I kinda changed my mind on some stuff. Not really a change of mind but more of a longer wait. I think I'm gonna get the smaller nine.4 amp and a good set of speakers through alteraudio (I emailed them on some help on which ones to get). I'm gonna wait off a little bit on the bigger amp and the sub until I get maybe another paycheck then order those as well. I guess I just don't want to have to buy "not-so-good" speakers if I can afford some good ones now and hold off on the sub. Hey man, I really appreciate you being with me this whole time.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 249
no problem. I did the same exact thing, once I got myself a good payjob I stepped up in my equipment. So yeah, wait awhile and do it once. Good luck and come back when everythings done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us