Alternative to jl 1000

Username: Svtmassa

Post Number: 5
what is a cheaper alternative to easily power two jl 10w6v2 subs. looking to spend around 300-400 bucks,

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8879
Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2225
^^^^^^^^

Bronze Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 24
Kicker zx750.1 or zx1000.1 both will do the job. Keep the gain under control on the zx1000.1

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1356
A PG Xenon 1200.1, I'll say it again. :-) But you'll have a hard time finding a brand new one for $400, or even finding a brand new one at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Techronics.com has a Pheonix Gold Xenon 1200.1 for $448.35 brand new free shipping that's the best your going to find. But I would go with kicker ZX1000.1 it's on the same web site for a cheaper price and it's better quaity.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 127
Just a point of clarity when shopping for bargin amps, make sure that you check to see if power specs are rated at CEA specifications (which PG and Kicker both do). Sometimes that $300 1,000 watt amp can be hard to pass up, but if it doesn't do what it's supposed to power wise it's useless to you. A quick and easy way to prove (caution: math coming up) the maximum possible power output of an amp under the most ideal circumstances is to take the voltage it will run at (14.4 or 12 depending on how forgiving you want to be) and multiply that by the total amperage of the fuses on the amp. For example, assuming that the PG 1200.1 is running on 14.4 volts, and using their recommended fuse for it (100A) you get W = 14 x 100 or 1,440 watts max.

This isn't exactly what you'll get with that amp (as signal quality and level come into play, as does your individual installation) but it's a great way to prove whether or not an amp will do what it says. I used to use this trick whenever someone would bring me one of those old Sony XPlod amps that had 40 amps of fusing with "2,000Watts MAX POWER" stamped on the front.

I would recommend either one of these amps (PG or Kicker), but I think your budget of 3 to 4 hundred may be a bit too low.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2778
joey, can not use zx series amps, they are 2 ohm stable only...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Just bacause is says CEA rated on it doesn't mean s--t For example kenwwod amps and sony amps are CEA rated and they are some of the worst amps ever made don't get me wrong there are alot of cr@ppy amps out ther so watch what you buy.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 567
Actually, it means it does its rated power. those sonys and kenwoods aren't rated at 2300w anymore. they now have conservative ratings that reflect their cea certification. Now, of course, this has nothing to do with build quality, component quality, and sound shaping abilities... but it does even out the playing field when it comes to rms power ratings. Much better than years past

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
also, make sure you are looking at the CEA-2006 ratings closely. many amps only use the cea rating for 4 ohm, and not 2 ohm or 1 ohm (which they still list a rating). so its still possible for them to be CEA-2006 certified, but not put out rated power at a different impendence than it was rated, such as 2 ohm in certain cases.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2228
infinity's using CEA ratings for their amps

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
^^ and...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2233
kenwood is using CEA and now they're coming with cooling fans... hmmm...

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
what are your points here...

Username: Svtmassa

Post Number: 7
right now i am leaning toward a pheonix gold xenon 1200.1 from techronics.com. what kind of box should i get i want it loud, can jlw6's get loud? i have been hearing good for sound quality

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_enclusure.php?series_id=6

the ported one will be louder

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Emanuel vented will be way louder than sealed. Just make sure you build the box to spec for the subs you choose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us