Should i switch polarity?

Bronze Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 77
alright well im going to try to invert my sub today and ive been doing a lot of research on this. the only reason i am doing this is becasue my box is to small and if i invert the woofer the box will be up to specs for the sub (2.0 Cubic Feet). now ive done a lot of research and everyone says to switch the polarity on the sub when you invert it but ive only found the people that asked the question to be firing the subs either up and down. i am firing my subs vertically so would i need to switch the polarity since i am just flipping it around so it fires in the box and not out. it wont be firing down or up just vertical.. also how would i switch the polarities could i just go from the amp + to - on the sub then - on the amp to + on the sub. the two wire it to 2 ohms just keep it the same?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5588
sure..it wont hurt anything....

it wont make a difference if you invert them.....just do it to see which you think sounds better

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 206
some head units actually have the option to send the signal in reverse or normal...well i know mine does...and ive found from my own messing around that it sounds better with the headunit in reverse mode..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5590
yes some HU's do have that feature...

there is also a feature on some amps that say "Phase" and a dial with numbers "0" on one side, and "180" on the other....this is also polarity reverser.:-)

Silver Member

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 207
you always gotta one up me muddy dont ya....no matter what I post you gotta come up w/ something allittle better...lol..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5592
nah, man...you just reminded me to include that information man.....

:-( i guess i will just stop posting on this forum....:-(

Silver Member

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 208
haha...its just funny cause like every post I say something in your like right after me...but hey at least im helping out to remind you a few things...lol....and you should stay cause u taught me a lot of the things i now know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5593
good...i will stay then.Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
hmmm well no look. after trying to invert it i found that there is no possible way for me to do it with my box. it just wont fit through the box so i can screw it down properly. when i did take the sub out though i noticed a funny smell of that glue but its always had that just figured it would go away after awhile. i checked all the glue around it and it seemed fine look like nothing was melted and a good seal all the way around the voice coil and spider. should that be normal for subs to smell that way all the time or could have been just because its in a sealed box it dosnt have anywere to ventilate

Gold Member

Post Number: 5595
prob clipped it at one point in time...or you still are. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
hmmmm the sound sounds very normal and ive got a small idea what clipping is like. its a square wave right i generated one on a test tone and compared it to a sine wave. could it still have been before from when i stupidly played it free air for a bit and it smelled like that for a lil while? my gain is only 1/4 the way up frequency at 80 and the bass boost at 1/4? should a kicker 750w at 2 ohm cause my sub to clip with the dials at those levels?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5598
ummmm yeah why not....

i doubt it was clipping it...but playing it free air was a dumb move. lol

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 255
MuDDy... I'm about to stick my Eclipse 88150.4 subs in a prefab style sealed box, it's only 1.4 cu. ft per chamber.. do you think I should invert them? will it make a difference if I invert them because of the displacement?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5600
it wont make much of a difference like i said before....the sub still remains pressurized...just now the the pressure on the front half of the cone instead of the back.

the only difference it should make is in the internal volume of your box...which with one sub should be around .09 to .15 depending on the sub.

also, if your box is ported...it will raise the tuning ever so slightly. nothing you should notice...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
ahhh happiest moment yet the second arsenal came in today and i hooked it up in the box. i currently disconnected my other one and have my one amp powering the arsenal to break it in until my other amp comes. i didnt f*ck this one up at all yet im pretty proud of myself ive got some experiance now. some pics will be up tonight

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 258
so, do you think I should fire them out or in? I mean, I want them to sound great.. that's why im putting them in a new rear-firing box rather than keeping them in my up firing box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5602
either way will be fine....the bass is already in the trunk so it doesn't matter which way the subs are firing... lol

i have heard rear firing is the loudest and sounds the best though due to the resonations in the trunk.:-)

Silver Member

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 213
Quote; "also, if your box is ported...it will raise the tuning ever so slightly. nothing you should notice..."

Muddy isnt that the opposite because the port would stay the same length but the box volume would increase so that would actually tune the box allittle lower....correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5609
yes your right...i'm sorry...

the more box volume you have...the less port volume you need to acheive the same tune....so if you increase box volume a little bit...the tune becomes lower:-)

got that mixed up a bit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us