Random Question (not car audio)

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 338
I figure since most people on here understand the physics involved in ports and such, maybe sombody can answer this for me: You know that loud hum/whistle when you run your finger around a wine glass.. What causes that? I know this is a stupid qiestion, but it's one of those things I just need to figure out, lol.

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 300
Small vibrations that acumulate to a resonante frequency. The water helps "lubricate" the surface so a much higher frequency can be acheived.

Silver Member

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 301
Kinda like a squeak in the floor. The more vibrations per second, the higher the pitch.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1466
You are close but they do not use water. There is a little trick, you must clean the oils off of you finger tips with vinegar in order for it to work. The acid in the vinegar removed the oil from your skin allowing your finger to lightly squeek along the rim. This squeeking at a certain level will resonate the glass which is filled partially to give a note. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 302
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5514
or like when you are washing your car, and you try to get a scuff mark out of the paint with your finger and it sounds like "squeak, squeak, squeak"

same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 341
It's just weird how you can move your finger so slow and it still gets really loud. I've been doing this for hours! Who needs TV and music when you have wine glasses!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us