Amp Powers On and Off

Username: Claytonk

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 7
Whenever I power on my head unit my speakers make a popping sound about every 5 seconds and my amp continuouly powers on and off. I cannot get me amp to stay powered on. I need help in identifying the problem. Thanks

Username: Buloi123

Philippines

Post Number: 1
The popping sound was caused by the turning on and off of your power amp.
1. Try to check if your amp is drawing large amount of power from your supply lines making your supply lines lower and thus making your amp turn off due to its undervoltage protection.
2. Maybe your amp is getting too hot quickly (not enough heatsink) making it turn off due to its thermal shutdown.

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 9
The first one could be it. i do have plenty of room around it for cooling purposes. do you know of any other information on your first idea? how would i check this because obviously I have my amp connected directly to my battery? it is not connected to anything else.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2167
check wires

Bronze Member

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 11
I have thoroughly checked my power, ground, and remote turn-on wires. Is there something that I might be missing?

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 219
make sure your not running to low an impedance. like 2 and the amp wants 4.

Bronze Member

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 12
god damn you're right benny boy. what a stupid mistake. i had disconnected two speakers and had two running temporarily without thinking of the temporary impedance. there you go.

Philippines

Post Number: 7
"The first one could be it. i do have plenty of room around it for cooling purposes."
- yes, you have enough room for cooling but if your amp draws more power because maybe of lower impedance (2-Ohms, instead of 4-ohms) your amplifier IC will reached its maximum junction temperature thus, shuting itself OFF due to it's internal thermal protection.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 361
a PA amp wont turn off from overheating :-) get it to keep your music hitting without turning off...until it smokes POS lol

Philippines

Post Number: 8
no.. most amplifier IC's have thermal shutdown capability... this is used for OTP (over temperature protection of the IC.. Mostly, it will shutdown when it exceeds its junction temperature (mostly Tj=150degC) to protect the IC from damaged.

Username: Mkonuwa

Staten island, NY UNITED STATES

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm trying to do my stereo in my car today. Its a 1996 mercury sable. I need help with color coding for the remote line on the radio plus total impedance needed for a 240 watts Amp. I actully have two drum subwofers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us