Ipod & Headunits.

Bronze Member
Username: Trancein305

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 48
My sony radio just died & im getting an Ipod soon... I would like to know what you guys think is the best & easiest headunit compatible with an IPod video.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Quick94gt

Fontana, Ca. United states

Post Number: 33
pioneer deh-p680mp it works just like an ipod with the rotary button

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2753
alpine with the direct plug speed wire for ipod.

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 49
so what model #'s in pioneer & Alpine are good ?

anyway.. jennifer are you nica or Mexican =)

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 300
That Alpine lacks a lot of features that most Alpines have....I'd go with the Pioneer Premier

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 193
Hi carlos jason, i am colombian girl who has been living in Tampa for most of my life.
anyway, I prefer Kenwood Keg! Alpine or Eclipse!

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 273
most modern HUs can be used with an iPod, what's your budget and what other things are you looking to get out of the unit? the other question is, do you need to have control of the iPod through the deck itself, or would having it play through the HU and keep control on the iPod itself work for you?

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 51
actually i want to control the pod with the remote.. the ipod is to delicate to keep in the hot cockpit of my car. If i were to purchse the ALPINE CDA-9857 do i need to buy a seperate cable to install the iPOD ? & will the sound diminish ?

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 52
will the Pioneer DEH-P680MP work just as good as the Alpine ? cda-9857 ? the DEH seems cheaper & something i can afford. It even looks better. DO both Alpine & pioneer connect to an ipod the same ?

sorry for the questions.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 274
well, it's important to note that with nearly (if not all) of the direct iPod to HU connection methods, the iPod controls are locked and control must be done using the head unit only. That's why a lot of people (including myself) go the AUX in route.

Regardless, you have two main options for the CDA-9857. First you can go the direct connect route if you want and pick up Alpine's Interface Cable which will put control and playback of the iPod through your deck. As I said however, you'll end up only being able to conrol the iPod with the deck as the iPod controls will lock with the cable connected. The two advantages to this system are that the cable not only charges your iPod at the same time, but you'll also get slightly better sound from the dock connection than you would from the headphone connection used in option number 2.

Your other option is the AUX in method. For that you need to conver the Ai-Net port on the back of the deck to AUX in using Alpine's KCA-121B Auxiliary Input Adapter. From there you would connect a mini to RCA cable, like this to your iPod's headphone port. This system won't allow for charing of the iPod but you can get a seperate car charger for it if you want.

In terms of sound degradation, some people notice a difference and others don't. I personally went a step further and use the Belkin Auto Kit which provides not only a line in adapter to allow for playback from the iPod dock, but also has a small amp built in to boost the signal and works as a car charger as well. I simply plug the aux out cable into the car kit, plug the whole thing into the cig lighter and then run the dock cable to my iPod. It gives me a clean, amped sound through my system but keeps the control on my iPod so I can use my Air Click Remote to conrol the iPod. It sounds complicated but it's the best solution for my needs.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 275
For the Pioneer unit your options are similar in that the direct connection method would involve the Pioneer CD-IB100ii iPod Interface Adapter and the AUX in solution would use the Pioneer CDRB10 Auxiliary Input Adapter for P-Bus Receivers in conjuction with that same mini to RCA cable linked above.

The only real differences will be if you went with the direct connect methods as the controls would be different. I've heard some people say that the comander knob on the Pioneer unit makes navigation a bit more intuitive but I still prefer the AUX in solution. I used the AUX in method with my Pioneer DEH-P5800 and I still use AUX in rather than the direct connection method with my current deck, a Kenwood KVT-617DVD.

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 54
Derek thank you very much for the info..best advice so far... you guys are all great.

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 55
Well guys i finally went with this purchase what do you think.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
Great HU...you should've went with the newer iPod adapter though (CD-IB100II)...it's faster than the older one and was made for the 2006 model HU's.

Bronze Member

Hialeaj, Fl Usa

Post Number: 69
Interesting how much faster is the newer one ? & will it really make a difference ?

Also do i need some type of wire to connect the console to the Head Unit ?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 280
That should work out well for you, the 780 is a nice deck.

The control module should come with the wire you need to run it to the deck.

The CD-IB100ii may be bit faster in terms of track access, but as far as it making a difference that'll depend on what you think. If you get the CD-IB100 and can't stand how long it's taking to change tracks and what not then you may want to look into the '06 model but, from my experience even the CD-IB100ii just takes way too long. And since you HAVE to control it through the deck I still stand by the AUX in method as being the most efficient.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1527
I am using the second version Ipod adapter and a DEH 9800BT, great HU and it all works/sounds flawless! Matter of fact I haven't removed my ipod since I put it in the glove box, may have to buy another for the house, lol. BEWARE it will cause you not to use your FM channels very much if at all.... :-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
I haven't listened to an actual radio station in over 2 years....don't miss the commercials or the repetitive playing of crappy songs at all
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us