Is 300w enough?

Username: Camarobump

Post Number: 5
I have 2 Infinity reference 12s, 4 ohms, runnning off an Urban 300w, 2 channel amp. The subs peak power is 1200w a piece and 300rms a piece. Is this enough power to push them or do I need to upgrade to a more powerful amp? If, so any suggestions on a good amp at a decent price would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1206
First off I have never heard of a "Urban" amp. Sounds like a peice a crap to me. And no, that is not enough power. If the subs are 300 rms a peice. The amp is probably 300 w MAX, not even enough for 1 sub. Look for something with more power.

Post Number: 6
Yeah I think it was made a long time ago, but do you know of any amps that are good for under $200?

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 708
Audiobhan Air Intake Serise(A) lol. 800RMS x 2

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2151
PA a1000db ^^^^ more powerful than audiobahn and almost the same price.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2751
if those are dual 4 then use a 2 channel bridged, like the audiobahn 8002. or if single 4 ohm, use 8000v series(these are just examples)

Username: Buloi123

Philippines

Post Number: 3
As a general guideline, it is recommended to use an amplifier delivering 50% more power than the speaker's average ("RMS") power. For example, for a speaker with 450W average power, an amplifier with an output of 700W may be used. If a small amplifier is used, sufficient level will not be reached, nor the perception that it is attained, so the signal will tend to be clipped to compensate, thus endangering the integrity of the speaker.

Post Number: 10
What percentage do ya'll think I'm getting with the amp that is pushing them now? Also, so if I get a more powerful amp then will the bass be bigger or louder than it is now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2163
buloi that's not true cuz all depends on the gain

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9005
thats not a very accuarte formulae buloi

more like if a GOOD brand of sub is rated 1000wrms u can use a 1200wrms amp provided that the ohms match up

FORGET ABOUT MAX WATTS - go by Watts in RMS ONLY !.....

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 981
"As a general guideline, it is recommended to use an amplifier delivering 50% more power than the speaker's average ("RMS") power. For example, for a speaker with 450W average power, an amplifier with an output of 700W may be used."

Any self respecting speaker builder would cringe if they read that.

<b>"If a small amplifier is used, sufficient level will not be reached, nor the perception that it is attained, so the signal will tend to be clipped to compensate, thus endangering the integrity of the speaker."</b

I'd agree that clipped amps contribute to damaging speakers, but a big amp can be clipped just as easily as a small one, and the chance of damage is even more likely in that case.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2175
Urban audioworks is an old school brand... and they weren't the Greatest back in the days... i've seen many of them... they might be good for comp speakers

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 130
brandon, if you could caugh up another 50 bucks you can get the hifonics BXi 1206D, it should push them alright...

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 131
oh, are those DUAL 4 ohm or what? i think they are, so maybe the BXi 606 will work for you and its around 180 bucks... i think that amp will work, not sure...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm not sure if they are dual 4 ohms or not, the box just says that they are 4 ohms without specifying if they are dual or not. I think I've heard or read somewhere that they are dual 4 ohms but I'll have to check on that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us