Camaro System

Username: Camarobump

Post Number: 3
I'm in need of someone's knowledge about Camaro systems. I have 2 Infinity reference 12s in a custom box. They are running of a 300 watt amp, which I don't think is enough power, but the thing is I had them in my Dodge Stratus in MTX sealed box in the trunk and it seems like they hit harder than they do in the Camaro. The box they are in now is also sealed. I was just wondering if what I'm hearing is right or if it is a power situation. I would really appreciate any advice!

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 104
The most likely answer is you (from what I can gather) put the subs in a new box, if this one is smaller than the last box, you may have sacraficed some SPL for transient response. They other possibility, if you'll pardon my theorizing at this hour, is:

When a sealed box is in a trunk, it esentially makes the passenger compartment a fourth order (vented) (If I'm off on that, give me a break, it's 2:30AM) box. That's why you'll often feel like the bass gets louder when you crack a window. Without that trunk to "tune" your box, you lost a little output.

Post Number: 4
I see, so in order to get the sound that I used to have do I need to get better quality subs or do I need to put them in a different spot? They are facing towards the front, tilted towards the the back glass.

Post Number: 7
Also, what are some good 6.5" door speakers? I want them to be loud and clear.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 111
Try facing them towards the back, of the car first, and hope for a positive accoustic coupling. Better subs and amps would help (More power helps more). I've become a fan of the JBL GTI Series recently, although they are pricy and require gobs of power.

Post Number: 8
Alright, I will try that tomorrow and let you know what it sounds like, and I will look at the JBL subs also.

Post Number: 9
Well, I took the box out and turned it to where the subs were facing towards the back of the car and to me it sounded better. It sounded like the bass carried more or hit harder. The face of the subs are really close to the back of the trunk because of the little bit of trunk space there is.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1352
Upload

Get a box like this, to drop down into your cargo area. :-) (this one is the one I have in my 1999 Firebird, it's a 13W7)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
That looks really good, see my 2 infinities were facing just like that, so that must be the best way to face the sub, how much did that sub cost?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1355
The box costs around $300 to have built. It actually takes up the entire cargo area, where you normally store T-Tops, though. So have a different plan for those - if you're going to have your box like that.

You can have those made for two 12's, one 15, or three 10's. at Subthump.com They used to make ported styles too, but dont seem to anymore. They also make boxes where you can still store your t-tops.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
what speakers do you have for the front, back and rear?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1361
I'm running a pair of CDT Audio EF NEO 5.25" componets in custom kicks up front, MB Quart RCE-216 6.5" midbass drivers in the rear, Pioneer REV series 6.5" coax's in the door, and a set of Rockford Fosgate FXE(something) tweeters in the cup holders attached to the back of the center Console.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1362
bleh, the mb quarts are PCE-164.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us