Hair Trick.

Bronze Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 68
I want to build a new system for my car, I'll be transferring my old stuff to another car. Anyways, for my 99 Yukon 4dr. I want a hard hitting system. To give you an Idea of how hard I want it to be, ex: able to perform hair tricks.

I had some subwoofers in mind.

4 15in MMATTs Dreads.
2 18in MMATTS Juggs.
Anything else?

Also would facing the subs towards the driver above the headrest or facing up be best?

What amps?

I just need a few opinions to get a feel of what types of things to get, and which direction to go.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 561
I've always heard that facing up is the best ina SUV, and doesnt it hav to b kinda like a wall, or all teh way bak to sound good facin the driver. Maybe i jus misread tho. I would get teh 4 15s.
Any ideas on power??

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 562
Hair tricks has to do with lots of air moving. so a big port would aid in that, not just number of subs.

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 69
Yeah I knew there had to be a big port, but I wasn't sure what type of subs to run. I'm willing to spend a good 1500 to 2000 on the amps alone. Any other subs you guys would probaly recommend?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 563
2 SSX w/ 2 2500d should get loud.
DD 9500
Im not familiar with mmats subs so idk what they compare to.

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 781
the jugs look beasty..id go with them

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 70
The treo's look good, I know a place in riverside, ca that has them and is a dealer. How much do they cost for a 15inch. any sites that sell them? if so can I get the link. thanks.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 791
the jugs?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5357
the SSx's are close to 650-700 for the 15" if i am not mistaken.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 831
thats too much for me..

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3358
i would def spend my money on 9515 for 600 bucks

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 836
DD all the way.....wooooooo wooooooooooooo

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 71
I remember when people would always talk about RE and Adire. What happened, is this a new wave of performance? Treo I heard of them before, Diamond comes out of no where. So will these subs give me the spl or sql I crave for. And what amps should I power each of them with. As in each sub get's its own amplifier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5374
RE used to have it all back when they had direct pricing and Adire's Xbl2 motor technology on their XXX's.

Adire used to be the sh1t...until RE and Ascendant Audio offered their tweaked version of the Xbl2 for a cheaper price. and then Adire came out with the Mk.3 version of the Brahma, and they had a lot of problems with them...not to mention they came out with a smaller VC and people thought it was less of a subwoofer, but tha goes back to the failur rate.:-)

DD has been around for a while...not sure if you confused them with Diamond. which is a little above avg. imo, i am not too familiar with their stuff.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5375
to accomplish the hair trick is simple...you want to move as much air next to the windows as possible...big subs...big port....up close to the driver and passenger seat

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 73
Since I have two rows of seats front and middle. does it complicate the setup. Since the middle seats will probaly get in the way of the ports, would having the subs face up be better mainly for my vehicle? Also on the RE and Ascendant audio, I heard of them also, are they still a trustworthy brand? And whats DD, because I did confuse them with Diamond haha.

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 300
Save yourself some money, and still get the same effect.

$20 Walmart fan FTW!

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

IA US

Post Number: 1241
did u say whats dd?.....and ur buying that high end of a system. (sry not tyring to be an a**)

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 109
RE and Ascendant Audio are both worthy of hair tricks...

2 avalanches http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/AscendantAudio/avalanche15.4.wmv

4 RE MTs
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/featured/meade/index.html

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 76
Well I just did some research awhile ago on DD. I haven't been on this forum for a year or so and everytime I come back theres something new. Also busy life. The current system I have right now is starting to feel "normal" So not being here for a year, busy life, and system was decent till now, I came back here for advice, and now more brands are starting to arise or come into place if you know what I mean.

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 77
yeah I seen those videos and did consider the Avalanche at one point, but where can I get them. So that was out of the list, then RE MT's, heard of them also. Just didn't really take it into much consideration. Need to do more research on those.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3364
MT's are too expensive IMO, and you get better subs that will get loud. RE is not my top choice anymore because of their prices.

DD, Treo, Mmats, Crystal comp X, AA, Atomic.. etc are some great sub companies

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 78
yeah thats what i thought, i never knew the prices but i had a feeling they were more expensive than the others. btw, what are the prices for the mt 15? I had a glimpse to see the price but i know its high thats all i know forsure.

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 589
2 dd 9515e/f dvc 1 ohm w/ c/f cones and 2 recone kits
$1000

Upload

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8455

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 385
u cant get the ava's anymore, they got replaced with the arsenals, some people like them better some ppl dont, but if i were u and u were gonna buy a couple woofers and ur looking for something in DD's category, id go with the HD3, u copuld pick up 4 15's for like..... iim not sure but itd be under 1500

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5245
slap 4 re mt 18s and you can do some serious hair trick.

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 301
DD would do the trick for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1444
4 15 MMats dreadnauts
2 Mmats D3500.05 amps
that would be a sick setup. the dreadnauts get very loud and i think sound better than the Juggs.

your going to need an huge box for 4 15s...make sure you have the room for 15+cuft.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5392
yes...when i said big box Berny...i meant like that big^^^^^^^ lol

b/c you will want BIG subs....aka 15's or 18's...to move the most air.

i think you could get away with some Audioque HD15's and a few kilowatts and maybe do it...but oyu will need one hell of a box:-)

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 891
just have the ports right by the seats to sent air forward...if that even works

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 79
how much do you think a box like that would run me. A couple of hundred? You think 15cuft + would fit in the yukon.

I think I already got an idea of which amp I want, the MMATS 3500.05 or 3500.1 depending on which subwoofers I go with and ohms and all that good stuff.

Considerations by now:

Amps:
2 Mmats 3500.05/1

Subwoofers:
4 Dreadnaut 15's
2 or 4 DD 9500
4 Treo SSX's

I would kind of like to keep everything in the same brand so MMats might be my #1 choice.

Silver Member

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 386
what actually does the hair trick? the air coming out of the port? or the air from the actual sub?

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 119
you will learn not to keep everything the same brand...

Silver Member
Username: Atllefty12

FL.

Post Number: 304
Berny, being able to fit 4 15"s, and trying to do what you're wanting to do is right up my alley. How about this...

(4) AudioQue HD315"s
(2) RF T40001Bd's
Alot of electricity and a second pair of boxers and you're all set. I don't know what you're used to listening to though so this might be kind of extreme for you lol. Just don't die.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5428

quote:

Just don't die.

to put it bluntly. LMAO!!!

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 187
hahahaha

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 80
whoa 8000watts. thats....high.. That does sound extreme. So I would be giving each subwoofer 2000watts then at 1 ohm bridged. BTW, what are the prices on the audioque's. I was thinking about $2000 on the subwoofers and $2000 on the amps. Thats total amount spent on just equipment. Everything else comes later.

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 81
340ea, i just answered my own question =). But are the HD3's reliable compared to their competitors such as the DD and Mmats. Because the prices of the HD3 is good to me, real good.

Silver Member

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 395
AQ (HD3) is made in the same place as DD its the cheaper alt to the 9500 DD series, but it just have the extensive cooling system that DD does so thats why its so much cheaper, but yes it will hold up with any of those brands u mentioned before

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 83
Sounds good. By next week on thursday I can order 4 of them. Any objections as to what may be a better alternative?

If not, anyone have any experience or any knowledge about how much the custom box will cost me for the 4 15's. Just an estimated idea so I won't feel ripped off when I try to have a car audio shop build one for me. As in if its cheaper than your estimate I can feel like its a deal, and if its a little bit over than its still a deal, but if its way off then I can just know.

Also what are the pro's and con's of this setup, I know its all SPL, but will it have atleast some decent SQ?

Thanks for everyones Input btw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5470
as long as the airspace for each 15" isn't rediculous...you should have SOME Sq....but seeing that you will have 4 15's and about 8000wRMS running to them...SQ should be your last concern.....oh, here we go...this should make you feel better, it will sound better than 4 15" L7's.:-)

i woulg give each 15 roughly 4.5cubes, that is what AQ recommends for them:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5471
almost forgot...i am ot sure how much a 16+cube box will cost...prob somewhere in the 4-700 range...like i said, i am not positive, and every shop is different.

make sure they brace the inside of the box too.:-)

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 84
Coo, thanks. We'll I'm sure once I get everything I'll start going around and getting quotes for the box. And then see if they can have me in one of their cars for me to see how their quality of work is. Oh yeah, Any other options for amplifiers, I was really thinking about that Mmats 3500.1 or .05. Trying to pay 2000G's up most for the amps. Any recommendations, thanks.

Silver Member

FL.

Post Number: 334
Muddy's right lol, at 8k watts, there really isn't much SQ in mind... But believe it or not, the AQ's have very good SQ compared to many other subs that people will mention. You could call it... "The Loudest SQL setup, ever?" Haha

Silver Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 373
look into the MA p3000.1 $600 a piece from low-hz.com or 4 of these http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3195

Silver Member

FL.

Post Number: 337
He doesn't want to use new SS products for what he's trying to accomplish. The MA amps may be a good choice but I personally would use the RF amps suggested, or even 4 Kicker Zx2500.1's just due to the reputation of the quality of their amps.

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 374
i think you should just get 2 though 4 fully powered HD's would be too loud to drive with you literally couldnt do it because in the words of Mr. Muddy "that would do 150's all day long " and to people who havent heard 150 it is insane and it literally hurts you wouldnt want that while your driving

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 375
not to mention you will need another grand+ for a few alts. and batts. and the all the 0/1 gauge wire to connect all those batts big 3 for the alts and wire the amps

Gold Member

Post Number: 5506
seriously......2 fully powered HD's would be enough for everyone on this FORUM. lol

Silver Member

FL.

Post Number: 344
2 fully powered Hd's would give you whiplash. I can't imagine what 4 HD's would do! :0

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 382
It would be like gettin smacked with my pimp hand

Upload

Silver Member

FL.

Post Number: 346
Why?!?!?! lol, thats messedup. Freakin downs babys

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 88
HAHA, well how about this, I'll try out two HD3's fully powered by two amps of which I'm not sure of yet. Remember, the hair truck was to give you an idea of how loud I want it to be, to have that feeling. I have 2 15' Type R's right now, when I sit in the driver seat, its ok. But when I go sit down next to the subs. They pound my body like crazy. Thats pretty much the feeling I want. And I thought that 4AQ's would do the trick for me. Imagine my 15 Type R's in a hatchback, I want that feeling but in a SUV. So I'll go ahead and try out two 15 HD3's for right now. Also with the HD3's, I thought the specs said that they handle 1000rms? Can they handle more because everyone is suggesting 2000rms+ to each subwoofer. I'm thinking about the two MA p3000.1 now. But someone has always told me, if your going to do it, do it right the first time. So I'll reconsider the two Kickers zx amps.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 360
face them toward the rear... always sounds the best... atleast the loudest

Gold Member

Post Number: 5560
they underrate the subwoofers to protect themselves.

if they can handle 3000wRMS daily...but on their site it shows 1000wRMS daily....almost no one willblow them with that power.:-)

but they will handle more, just like about every sub that is of higher end...they are underrated but will take more...it is a safety net for the manufacturer.

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 89
So giving the subwoofer 2000wRMS daily per sub would be okay then, given that the enclosure is built to specs. And anyone on suggestions for amps?

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 419
the 1000 Rms rating is if you were going to play bass testers 24 hrs a day 7 days a week with no break in between i emailed them and they said 2.5K- 3K rms is fine just be careful dont turn them all the way up the second you put them in and what not lol

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 91
do you have a hd3 drsmith? I'm guessing you do, how many, what sizes and how are they compared to some of the other subs you have also heard, just wondering.

Username: Plenk

Post Number: 9
I like usamps for high power applications. They are a bit pricey though.

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 420
sorry bro i dont have one orderin a 1 15 Dual 4 today tho DJ said about 15-18 days before i get it but i'm not in a huge hurry
i still need a bigger amp and a bigger alt

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 93
Oh sounds good. Yeah I was going to order two 15's today as well. But I didn't know if i wanted Dual 4 or Dual 2. Because I might feed each sub its own amp or maybe use one amp to feed both.

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 421
thats similair to whats holdin me back if i get the MA P3000.1 i would have to use another amp to break it in cuz i dont want to throw all 3k on it right away so i am lookin at other amps but i think i just might use my RF it does 1200 at 2 ohms and the put on the MA on it after a few days/weeks of the RF

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 94
HEHE, I just ordered me two HD315's Dual4. Was talking to DJ with the company about a few things to make sure that I wanted them. And he suggested a few amps as well. What do you guys think of the Memphis 16-MCD4KW - Memphis MOJO 1 Ch 4000 Watt Amplifier. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3707. Just a little cheaper than the RF4000bd1. After I get the sub's I'll go get a box made for them and I'll be bumpin the way I have always wanted to bump for a very long time. Thanks guys for all your input. I'll post pictures and everything once I get everything installed and in working order. Thanks for helping me in my decision, I appreciate it.

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 422
anytime man cant wait for the reviews just dont turn them up ALL the way until you write a good review, i want to know what you think before you kill your self lol

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 423
for the price of the Memphis amp look into a DD Z1 more power and its only 1495 from DD

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 96
AHAH yeah, I'll try to tune it and get it all in good working condition. If not, then my review wouldn't be correct. damn kill myself? these things get loud huh. Well I never had a 4k system in my car or heard any car with a 4k system before, so I'll take it easy for a couple of weeks and try to get things settled in first.

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 97
I just looked, it said that the z1 was 3000rms at 1ohm. Did you mean the z2?

Silver Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 425
12 Volts:
4.6 ohms = 2279W
2.3 ohms = 3405W
1.15 ohms = 4188W
14,4 Volts:
4.6 ohms = 3042W
2.3 ohms = 4461W
1.15 ohms = 5358W

thats what it will really do

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 99
amazing hahahha, I'm going to love the fact that I can turn up my knob 1/4ths of the way and it'll be loud then a motha. I'm going to call DD right now and see if theres a wait time for the amps. If there is then if I order them tomarrow and they should come in around the same time.

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 100
Is 100-250 for a specific box that AQ recommends to build a good price? I went to two audio shops and they said the same thing. The mainly it would be closer to 250, but with more details and dimensions and what not, they can probaly make it lower than 250.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us