Vc question please help! knowledgeable people

Silver Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 164
Hey guys I have 2 15in dvc 2ohm subs and I want my impendace to go to 1 ohm, is it ok to only hook up one voice coil on each sub to acheive this? what would the pro's/con's be?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6495
dont do it man! A common misconception with regard to dual voice coil speakers is the assumption that nothing changes if you power only one of the voice coils. With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters. This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered can result in very poor performance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
will it damage the speaker or amp?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6496
it wont damage the amp, and inless you reconfigure the enclosure and thiel small peramiters it wont sound up to par. You will lose 3 db's on each sub, you will not be any louder running 2 then you would running one propperly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
so would be better to just run one 15 in a small sealed enclosure and dump a ton of power to it?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5333
it all depends on what the sub is man...

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 258
All hale Muddy!Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2446
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/DualVoiceCoilDrivers.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2447
or a slightly different perspective
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=163

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5346
thanks PAul!!! lol

Bronze Member
Username: Likeapuma

Washington/Utah

Post Number: 15
Yeah, it all depends on the sub. My Farenheit subs are made so you can run either both coils or only one, and there will be no difference. And the Xsite rep told me that their high excursion subs are the same way. And I'm pretty positive that the Massive CW says on their site that those coils are made so you can run them independently. Just check with your sub manufacturer.

-C
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us