Need Head Unit Recommendations $100-$150

Bronze Member
Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 61
I have no experience here. Mostly just in Home Theatre. Girld Friend's care needs a new stereo.

Want to play MP3 discs... right now her '97 Honda Accord only has tape deck.

The first thing I saw was this Sony:
http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT200

She also has an iPod and I noticed that this Sony head unit had an aux jack in the front, so it looks like hooking up the iPod would be easy.

Thoughts, input, head unit recommendations highly appreciated.
We're going with stock speakers for now. The main reason for the upgrad is for features... specifically upgrading from tape deck to CD and MP3.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. Some afterthoughts. Best Buy offered $40 install. That sounds tempting. But what if I find a stereo cheaper on line. What prices can I expect for an install. I'm in Austin, TX... seems most common place for installs would be Custom Sounds. Any thoughts on that?
OH, the salesmen also recommended a "speaker saver" which was some kind of regulator to keep from blowing the factory speakers. I guess it would run an extra $20 to do both pairs. Are these just BS or do you think it would be worth it for this application?

Thanks a lot guys.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 177
Install it yourself! It's easy and these guys on the forum can walk you through that.

With that said, DO NOT BUY SONY IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE STEREO FOR LONGER THAN THE WARRANTY COVERS IT. As soon as the warranty expires, and before that in alot of cases too, you will have a pile of stereo that doesn't work.

look into Pioneer units, like the DEH-P4800, and buy an extention cable to go from the aux input on the back of the stereo to the ipod, you could run it through the glovebox so when you're not using it you can store it in there... and best of all, it's easy to install.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 178
DEH-P4800MP <- correction on the Pioneer model number, and in fact you can go with the Pioneer Premier DEH-P480MP for more power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Premier-DEH-P480MP-CD-MP3-Car-Receiver-Player_W0QQit emZ290023766724QQihZ019QQcategoryZ39752QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Ok, I see that a lot of people are digging this Pioneer.

Here are more factors/considerations that are important to her/us.

It seems subjective, but at least a few ppl tend to think the tuner on the Pioneer is superior.

What about fast forwarding through a track? I hear the Sony does not "get faster" as you fast forward. This is kind of important as we listen to audiobooks on long trips. It is a REAL pain in the butt to hold down the fast forward for 10-15 minutes just to get to your spot... or hit a bump halfway and have to start over. How do the Pioneers perform in this area?

Since the Pioneer doesn't have a nice, easy to access aux port in the front, how does this extenstion cable work? Sounds like I'm going to have to be digging around in the dash trying to figure out how to route this thing. Plus, when you're driving, the glove box is too far away for the driver.
How much and where do I get this extension cable?

Any input on the "Speaker Savers" mentioned in the original post?

Also, she has a CD changer, an old Alpine. From what I can tell by looking at it... it doesn't work th rough an aux port. It seems that the radio antennae passes through the controller for the changer. It seems weird. Any ideas on adding that to the mix as well?

I'm sure I could handle the wiring aspect of putting in the stereo, its opening the dash that worries me a bit. I haven't figured out how to nicely take the console apart.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Bump please. I know I have lots of questions, but any help is appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us