Which component set?

Bronze Member
Username: Vecc205

Post Number: 11
I am looking for a 5.25" component set to install in my buddies audi. The speakers will be installed off axis in the factory locations. So far I've narrowed my choices down to Rainbow Profi's, Morel Dotech, Dynaudio 220mk2, CDT Audio HD's and Oz Audio matrix elites. Between these sets price is not a factor, I am just looking for the most transparent, natural and detailed sound for an off axis installation. The speakers will be powered off the front channels of an Arc Audio 4150 CXL, so about 85 watts. I will also be using a JL Audio 10w3v3 for the low end. If anyone can explain the differences between these speakers and help me decide which one is best for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the help in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5214
i would check out the DLS Iridium and UR series. they do very well off axis and also do very well on ~100wRMS.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2761
Rainbow Profi, Dynaudio, DLS. that'd be my choices in order from first to last.

i am running the Profi Vanadium 3 ways and absolutely love them. only difference is the cone material and the Vanadiums come with titanium tweeters vs. the Profi's silks. mine as on axis, co i can't say how they would do off...

Rainbows are very effecient speakers so 85W will work nice but they do love power and shine the higher you go. i'm putting 250 a side to mine.

can i ask where you plan on getting your Rainbow Profi's if you do decide to go with them??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I would be getting them from speedsound.com, which I believe may be an older model. I am also looking to see if I can get the DLS Ultimate Nobelium 5.2. I have seen the 6.2 going for around 580.00 on ebay. Have any of you heard these, and how do they compare to the rainbow profi's?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5267
i haven't heard the Nobeliums...but they seem to be DLS' pride and joy these days next to the Iridiums. lol they sure are expensive as hell.:-(

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1197
what year Audi is this and how is going to install it for you. Most of the new Audi's its quite hard to work on as there are limited amount of dash kits if any for them and there are factory amplifiers built in that have to be bypassed. We use Metra and IIRC for 2002 models and any model that has the "Symphonic"(I think its the Bose option) there is no dash kit for them and no wiring harness for them. Just a fore warning. if you can go and replace it all though I'd suggest HD's or look into the JL XR's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I'm doing the install in a friends car. It's a 97 Audi. I already have installed an Alpine CDA9855 in there. So basically I'm just looking to finish it up with a nice component set and sub.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2768
don't buy from speed sound....all their Rainbow stuff is the 2002 models and things have changed a lot since then. if you want Rainbow, check out Caraudio.com and talk to 6spdcoupe. new stuff and cheaper then speedsound.

i haven't heard the DLS's either, no one around here sells them...i do know the Iridiums are picky about install though. watch out for fake DLS stuff on ebay!!

HD's and JL XR's aren't bad either, but i don't think they are up to par with the other brands and models mentioned.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 97
Too add to the fray, I'm a big fan of Focal and MB Quart in Audis. I just felt like throwing two more companies into the mix. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 147
Diamond Audio HEX series are very nice as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us