Using a dmm??? Setting amp gain??

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

IA US

Post Number: 1229
i was trying to set my gain on my amp. my amp is 1000rms @ 2 ohms.

i was gunna set hu volume to 3/4. then play a 50 hz test tone, then check the pos and neg on amp with a dmm.

chadlee told me the digital readout should say around 47.7.

but my question is what do i set the knob too on the dmm? it says like ac 10, ac 25, ac 50, ac 100, on the ones ive seen. so what do i set the knob too, to get the right readout?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5167
read the manual that came with your dmm. on mine there is only 200 and 500 for ac. i set mine to 200 and it works fine.

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 708
is there a way to set your gain without one i know my preouts voltage is 5 volts.

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1230
chad!!!! i just went and bought a dmm, and it only had 200 and 500 on it. i didnt think it was working so i returned it!!!!!!! damn get on aim chad

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1231
god damn this is getting old. i cant seem to get anyone to help me. kicker doesnt email me back, and there phone line isnt open until monday. the stupid amp says 0 on the left, and 11 on the right. im guessing by the amount of has marks, each one is like 1.8 volts apart.

and im guessing the 0 and 11 dont mean voltage, they are just a number.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1546
i was told by a kicker tech the numbers actually meant the voltage. i went off it and mine is good. and kicker probably wont be back in the offices till tuesday cause of the holiday.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 407
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/gains_video.php

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1232
if the numbers actually meant voltage that wouldnt make any sense.

if you set ur HU to 10, ur amp will produce more power/make sub louder faster at 2v, than 4v.

if those numbers mean voltage, that amp gets louder as you turn from 0 towards 11. that would be backwards.

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2747
Sqrt(Watts RMS X Ohms) = VAC at amp output.

thats the formula for setting the gain with a DMM. not totally accurate, but gives you a good starting point. nothing can replace a good oscilloscope for setting gains.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 409
+1 to what brandon said.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us