New Sub Input / Install Update

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2739
alright, this will be a split thread about my new subs and fiberglass project for my car and the install i'm doing for a friend's car.

first off, i just got in from working on my friend's car. some of you who i've chatted with on AIM have heard about this stuff. but heres whats going in his 97 Toyota Corolla:
Pioneer Premier DEH-480MP
Rainbow SLC 4 inch comps front
Rainbow SL 5.25 inch coaxials rear
powered by a Orion 8004
JL 13W7
powered by a Orion 2500D
Yellow Top
180 amp Irragi Amputator Alt

the car is the biggest pain in the a-s ever, lol. theres no place to run wired through the firewall. no place to mount a fuse box under the hood. nearly impossible to run new speaker wires through the door jams. battery cables are opposite from a Yellow Top...

anyway, we got the speakers mounted front and rear, all cables ran and the HU installed so far. working on box and amp rack design next.

the Rainbow SLC's sound great! mounted the woofers in stock locations. tweeters are higher up on the door panel. imageing isn't that great, but still sounds nice. he isn't looking to compete so he doesn't care, just wants it to sound nice and it does!

Pics of custom HU install, Rainbow SLC woofers and Tweets in the door panels below:
Upload
notice stock deck below. too big and too low. where the pioneer is now, there used to be an empty spot where you could put whatever you wanted and it was guaranteed not to fit and fall out. not to mention, it looked bad.
Upload
the green 3M stuff is a double sided gasket like tape.
Upload
woofer and tweeter mounted and supprisingly i can't hear any gap or distance between the two like i can with most setups like that....drives me crazy when i can!! lol

thats all for now....on to my subs.
ok, looking for straight SQ, 750 watts to play with, needs to be a 4 ohm final impedance, 1.75 cubes sealed and only around 6 inches mounting depth....sounds fun :-) but i could mount inverted. i don't wanna change my current setup, up-fireing works nice in my car.

i'm thinking about 2 Image Dynamics IDQ 10's or 12's. effecient, depth works, space is almost perfect....

other subs i've been thinking about:
Sound Splinter RL-P or 2 RL-i 10's
Crystal Comp 12 (chauncey?? lol)
2 Arc10's or Arc 12's (SQ friend said he wouldn't lead me that route....not sure why?)
2 Rainbow Profi vanadium 10's (pricey! $350-$375 each!)
and Elemental Designs?? any input on them?? everyone either seems to love them like theres nothing else to love or curse them for everything they are worth....lol

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2740
woo hoo! it wouldn't let me type anymore :-)

but i was gonna say, the subs for my car will be pairing up with a set of Rainbow Profi vanadium 3 ways, receiving 250 watts a side from a Zapco Reference 1000.

and my fiberglass project:
gonna be making some door pods for the 6.5 inch mid bass drivers. putting them on axis like the 4 inch mid range and 1 inch tweeters are (they are in kick panels). i hope to start on that soon, but i gotta find out if i should seal the pods or leave them open into the doors.

hope you enjoy and thanks for any input you can leave me!!

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2742
oh and one more thing. right now we just have the speakers hooked up and the Orion 8004 installed for power so hes got some sound. but when you turn the system off theres this loud pop noise from the speakers. i'm thinking theres not a delay from the HU when it gets turned off and a relay in the REM lead will fix the pop noise problem?? correct or any more ideas on that?? rather annoying, lol.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5122
check out the DLS Iridium and UR subs.
they sound very nice man. trust me. although i haven;t check the VC configs or the mounting depth.

the arc subs sound great. not exactly SQ oriented. but they are fairly loud and clean.
i would rather go the route of the flatline that the regular Arc subs.

the IDq's will NOT disappoint in the SQ dept.

you said the SSi was a little too much SPL, so i don't think you will have to worry about that from the IDq's.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5135
nice and clean install brandon.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2751
DLS makes some great stuff. haven't heard their subs though. SQ competitors over seas love DLS subs.

i'd be under powering 2 Iridium 10's or 12's...single 12 won't work.

2 UR 10's or 12's would work fine...single 12 wouldn't work either.

whats up with the box reccomendations on MobileSQ.com and DLS's web site for these subs. they give one for single VC and one for VC's in parallel??

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 543
depending on how you wire a sub the parameters can change requiring a different box type and or size.. but i may be wrong

Gold Member

Post Number: 5198
^^ yup.

either that or they can be ordered with diff VC configs.

it may be like the older AA Atlas where you can change the impedance of the VC by connecting 2 of the wires or something. i dunno

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2752
idk either, the manuals say only to use 1 VC for a sealed box??? wtf?? i'd have to look more into these DLS subs...thats all kinda weird.

mark Arc off my list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5211
lol.

ok

Arc Audio Subwoofers

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2755
haha, thanks for literally scratching if off Muddy :-)

any info in elemental designs subs?? they are cheap and look very close to ID's stuff. heard ID makes their subs, don't know if thats true??

would like to keep the cost down, like $500 at the most. trying to save money, but the system calls, haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5216
i believe JAke papa owns 4 of the ED subs...the 16ov2's or something.

his setup is for SPL though/

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2759
hmm, wish i could find something on them but theres almost nothing. their old flat cone ones i can find some info on and they are suppose to be killer, but had problems with a lot of them so they stopped making them. they have a new version of the flat cones comming out soon according to their web site, i wonder how they will compare.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2781
bump!

looking at Crystal Comp 12
Sound Splinter RL-p 12
Sound Splinter RL-i 10 X 2
Rainbow Profi vanadium 10 X 2
and Image Dynamics IDQ 12 X 2
as of right now.

and eD if i can find any info on them...lol.

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 795
those rainbow comp. look tight

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8807
honestly...since ur going straight sq...out of the 1's on that list i have heard...

the comp...does not have as good sq as the rlp..but gets louder...also i would have 2 beleive that the rli's would be about the same as getting the comp.*louder*

never heard the rainbow's...

but i like the sq on those idq's..very tight and accurate...

i would choose between the rlp and the idq's...but remember i have never heard that rainbow...it could be a sq beast...

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2783
thanks for the input on the Crystal. you are like the only person who seems to know about them Chauncey, lol.

the Rainbows are suppose to be amazing, just cost almost double what the others cost, lol.

IDQ's are kinda proven to be killer SQ subs and are used in a lot of SQ comp cars, which is great. RLP has been compared to the IDQ's quite a bit too, which is good.

guess it comes down to how much i wanna spend. splurge for the Rainbows or go cheaper for the IDQ's or RLP...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5384
i think when it comes down to it...you will be happy either way...but more so when you look back at the money you saved:-)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8832
lol^^yep

if u where going for a sql setup then i would get the comp

but i would think do I want 1 sub (rlp) or 2 subs (idq's)???

that should give u ur answer...i hope

Gold Member

Post Number: 5408
:-)^^^^^

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 754
yeah iv heard some great things on the rlp so id go with one of those. i would love to try one some time

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2793
i think i'm gonna go with the 2 12 inch IDQ's. work best with my space, will look better then a single sub in the setup and very effecient subs. gonna go talk to a guy i know that runs a shop down here. hes pretty big in SQ setups and sells ID.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5491
^Upload^

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2825
yeah, it'll be nice to have sub bass back in my car. now if i can find time to redo them panels, start on my brother's fiberglass stuff, install his amps, speakers, sub and HU and do my door pods on top of finishing up the system i started above, it'd be nice :-)

i haven't heard from the guy whos system i started above, so idk when we'll get that going some more, lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us