CDT Componets Suck

Bronze Member
Username: Spidercoder

Post Number: 43
Not twenty minutes after my set was installed the driver side woofer pop and you smelled the burning. Then a few hours later the passenger side woofer POP. CDT ef 61 fg STAY AWAY. Im going to be contacting wooferetc on sunday when they open. And requesting an RMA but I dont want the same brand they are pure garbage.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5085
how much power did you have running to them?
what are they rated for?

were they wired right?

that really sucks man, i have heard nothing but good things about them, it seems you have had bad luck or perahps a bad product from Woofetc?

hope everythinng works out for ya...

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1194
you must have been putting alot of power to them or a crappy signal to them and .or really distorting them cause thats pretty hard to do if setup and run properly. Maybe put some more details up before you blame the speakers. If you fried the VC thats more than likely user error or ignorance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
You what I just went and checked my my amp because it was scorching hot. Im talking about my 4 channel I looked at the gains and they are maxed out. I have an eclipse deck the pre outs are 5 volts. The guy at the shop who installed my equipment was telling me how shitty thesse componets were. I figured this some sales tactics. I now belive they maxed the gains out on purpose to screw up my componets so that i would buy from them. I also noticed water is now building up over my ac vents where the head unit was mounted when the ac is on. Would the gains maxxed out on an amp cause it to get really hot if the head units preouts are 5 volts also would this cause my voice coils to fry or short out something in the crossover. Please give me as much info as possible I will be going thier first thing in the morning. I would just like to know some more info. The amp is a diamond d3 400.4 I had it bridged to two channel. I had the deck faded to the rear so the speakers wouldnt get full power the guy at wofferetc told me they handle 160 watts well.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1544
sounds like you clipped them to death! i've heard some cdt's before and loved them and can't wait to get some myself. i think you should have the place that set your amp like that replace them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I didnt hear any distortion They just popped. Ill be going thier first thing in the morning

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1195
LOL!!!!! Gains at MAX!!! Where did you go, cause they screwed you over. They clipped the mess out of those. You never put the gains at max on an amp. The components will handle well over 160rms if done right. I had 150rms to my EF-61 that I used in my Alero and it was fine. But if they had the gain up all the way, thats horrible for the speakers. You need to go back to them and make them replace everything cause they suck. Damn, my store did that and someone's head would be rolling.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5101
well....how high does the gain go on your amp??

if it only goes to say....6 or 7V....then you need to set your gain closer to 3/4 volume or less so as to not let the HU put out a stronger line Voltage than your amp can recieve...or you WILL clip everytime you turn it up.:-(

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 422
go back and tell them fu ckers to pay you for that they dint know what they were doing in the first place by maxxing out the gains tell em that. damn seriously the guy who set the gains would of got fucked up if that happend to me

Gold Member

Post Number: 5290
dude....somebody would be getting Upload on their car hood if that was me. lol

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 303
That's exactly why I do everything myself and why I buy nothing from a local stereo store...

I can sympathize with the guy but good luck proving that the stereo shop maxed out the gains...I mean we all know they probably did it, but they will say that he messed with them after he got home and it's not there fault...

Also, I wonder if they had them running at full range along with the gains maxed out...so not only were they clipping but they had way too low of a frequency going to them?

I have 2 sets of CDT comps (CL-61's in 1 vehicle and the EF-61's in another) and am running 150rms to each set (crossed over @100hz) and they have been awesome for a few years now.

Not to be a dick....but next time try not to come on here and flame a set of awesome speakers (which a lot of us have) before you have all the facts on the matter...it makes you look a little bed in out eyes....if you know what I mean?

Hope you have some luck in making the shop pay for you to get new comps...I'd stick with CDT...if they're setup right you'll be quite happy.

And whatever you do...GO SOMEWHERE ELSE to get your new stuff put in...check with some people on here...they may be a knowledgable person on this board who doesn't live too far away that would be willing to help you out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
come to find out it wasnt the woofer that smoked it was the Crossovers that blew. The woofers also blew. What would cause the crossovers to blow the capicitors in the crossovers blew. Any ideas on what would cause the crossovers to go out like that.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 751
clipping

Bronze Member

Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post Number: 67
I called another stereo shop that is an authorized diamond dealer. They told me that the gain on the d3 400.4 should be pegged at the lowest setting with the pre out voltage of 5 volts (wich is what the eclipse head unit has). So I think the combo of the amp running 200 watts rms and the gain screwed is what gave me my results.

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1203
^^^^^ I think that is what everyone has already told you. I'm a dealer for CDT and know that the crossover( the 480 or 400 depending on when it was bought) can handle up to 200rms IF the signal is clean. If anything the tweeter protection would go if there was too much power.

I would not go back to that place tou went to and like someone else has already said you should not get on some forum and flame something you don't know anything about. The EF's are good for the money and the only reason you're having a problem with them is because you had someone who didn't know what they were doing set your stuff up. Next time go somewhere where the people know what they're doing and also check stuff yourself too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us