You can't use 2 or 4 gauge wire with the ALPINE MRP-M650? HELP!

Bronze Member
Username: Ekul

Post Number: 26
ok after checkin some sites and ppl recommending i get 4 gauge wire i went and bought a power acoustik 2 gauge wiring kit, i thought might as well go with 2 gauge since it didn't cost much more than 8 gauge. i read some reviews that their 2 ga is actually 4 and their 4 is actually 8 or somethin. anyways after i got the kit i didn't check it out right away and when i was reading on crutchfield about my amp i found this: Power Wiring: Because of the size of the terminals, only 8 gauge power and ground wire will fit.

so i check it out and sure enough the gold plated ring terminals are way to big, the spade terminals fit but aren't the ring terminals used for the power and ground wire for a reason? (better connection i would guess, ima noob at this stuff so help me out :P) i was thinkin about buying some 8 gauge gold plated ring terminals to see if the wire would fit in em but i dunno if i should mess wit that. i can send this back also and get a diff kit. so i need help, what should i do, chance buying some 8 gauge ring terminals and see if they fit? (even if they do they would be connecting to 2 ga or 4 ga wire =/ ) or should i get my money back and buy a diff wiring kit. also the amp will be running 1 ALPINE SWR-1242D 12" Type R, i think i was getting suggestions of 2 and 4 ga wire so i wouldn't have to upgrade in the future but i don't plan on buying another sub anytime soon. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4626
If you can get the spade terminals to fit, you might as well do that and buy some 4 gauge connectors for your power and ground if there aren't any connectors included with your kit that will work.

Another possibility is to get a distribution block that will change a 4ga input to 8ga output, then simply run a small run of 8ga into your amp, and 8ga as ground.

If you can ship the amp kit back and get 8ga wiring, that would be fine too. But it never hurts to have bigger wiring there for future upgrades etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us