OT: stock alt and extra battery

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 201
How much power do you think i will be able to run daily without any problems? The engine is a supercharged 3.8 liter V6, I dont know how many amps the stock alt is though.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 804
would have to know the alternators amps,,but what kinda power are you looking into buying ?

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 805
from what i found it looks like u have a 95amp alternator on ur mitsubishi 3000GT... you could probably get away with 1000rms maybe a little more but get a yellowtop under the hood, they arent really considered a good starting battery but when u have a large power load its better to have a yellowtop under the hood just because the stereo might drop ur volts below 12 volts on a regular basis during large bass hits and a standard battery cant handle being dropped below 12 volts that many times before it stops accepting a charge where as the yellowtop optima can go below 12 volts and even be drained to zero a whole lot before it starts to stop accepting a charge and at autozone they come with a lifetime warranty so once its does stop accepting a charge if ever then you can get a new one free of charge

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4838
do not put a yellow top under the hood.

do not play your system with the car off. unless you are getting a yellowtop.

do not try and squeeze all you can out of your stock electircal system.

it WILL fail eventually....and you will have to spend money to replace it that could have been spent on a new HO alt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
I am getting rid of the 3000GT eventually, I think i am going to buy a buick riviera this week though so i want to start ordering stuff for it. How much would a HO alt cost? I am thinking 1200-1500 for my sub amp and probably another smaller amp for the highs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4851
www.excessiveamperage.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
So without buying an alt how much power can i run without any problems. And if i did buy a HO alt would i notice any differance in the way the car runs or gas mileage or anything like that. Those are probably stupid questions but alts is one thing i dont really know very well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
it didnt bump

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 191
no, its not gonna mess up your gas mileage it should stay the same and both of those companies make alternators that drop right in to the car without any modifactions.

A stock alternator is only made to power the things in your car, and is not designed to support any aftermarket accessories. Therefore you may run a small amp off your stock system and you will probably not encounter any problems for awhile. BUT if you wanna get one amp for the subs and one for the HIGHS your probably gonna need more power comming from the alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Ok i plan on buying an alt. I think im going to run about 2000-3000rms. Will a 200 amp alt work for this? Also will i need to run an extra battery?

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Also a HO alt will only produce as much power as needed right? So if the system isnt playing it wont damage anything by making too much power?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4872
it isn't going to damage anything.

Voltage is what hurts...not amperes. <--i am pretty sure that is the way it is. lololol

and the voltage on oyur alt shouldn't go above 15V per say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Ok, thanks a lot muddy. And a 200 amp alt will run 2500 watts without a problem right?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1428
II have the same engine as you the L67 (think it is) 3.8L supercharged, should be the same as the Ponyiac GTP. I bought a 300A Amputator series from Iraggi, drops right in. If you need help when you get it let me know! Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Thanks polo, what kind of power are you running? Should i go with a 300amp apposed to a 200?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4885
the more the merrier...it isn't going to hurt you to run a bigger one, if anything it will give you more piece of mind.:-)

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 197
hey plus if you get the amputator from iraggi they will do an exchage if you ever get a different car.....

i think its the amputator....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4906
i am not sure about that claim...but the amputator is the higher model that puts out more at idle.:-)

so it must be that one.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 198
Im pretty sure i heard that awhile ago when they were having a group buy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Alright thanks guys, I still dont know what subs im going to buy but at least i will have the power, lol

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 808
ok i was just given the advice that would get you the cheapest results but if ur looking for 2500rms then you will need a ho alternator .. i was thinking you might have been looking to buy a thousand watt amp that was only around 200 bucks and getting a HO alternator to go with a 200 dollar amp just doesnt seem worth it to me so i was offering the cheapest option but since ur looking for lots of RMS ur gonna have to have the Ho alt and i would say you should still add a yellowtop with that type of power because altho you could just never run the stereo with the car off we all know that people still try to do it and then run into problems so i would just save myself the hassle and add the yellow .. also the stock alternator wouldnt actually die as fast as muddy is acting like it would but i do agree with his point of view on the subject

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5106
iraggi waranties his alts for a year. that includes if you change your car within a year he will rebuild you one to fit that car. if you want extened warranty, then you have to pay for it.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 815
i would say go iraggi... i think excessiveamperage only offers a standard 90 day warranty but he doesnt clearly state that any where so basically he could at any time decide that he didnt want to do anything warranty wise.. he pretty much leaves the warranty unclear which gives him a easy out if ever he does decide to not cover somthing that is still within the warranty, where as iraggi cleary states his warranty
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us