Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8729
which do u like more and y??

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1850
metal it sounds pretty good at low volumes but at high volumes let forget about metals tweeters, silk its my best choice its very smooth, it gets pretty loud with out any peak frequensy, and the metals most of the tweeter made with metals peak at certain freqeunsy makin them sound like harsh and gett anoyying, they also have super high resonance freqensy that sometimes hurt the ear, metal sometimes its a best choice but it depends who made it if u get sony, piooner, or a regular brand metal tweeter ull be sorry, if u get a hi end metal dome tweeter it will sound very smooth and better than silk, im talkin about tweeters like jl audio, or the diamond audios that use the same process like jl the rubber ring around the metal.

my personal taste will be silk because the highs are not too high, and with thats silk tweeter ull be able to hear the mid end more easily and if u are in a car for too long the metal tweeter will get anoying and silk it will be pretty good,

note: sometimes metals can sound better than silk and sometimes they will not have the harsh sound because who made them, how well built are they etc.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 710
I prefer a Ti or Al if you like rap, but like lilrob said, for other music types they get harsh at high volumes.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4592
I love metal-based tweeters. Extremely detailed. The guitar clicks are absolutely gorgeous and the strings to die for lol They bring out the small details stunningly-well. However, the silk-based tweeters seemed to fail at such things, coming off with their famous 'warm' sound, and singer's voices don't seem as accurate.

Overall, however, I don't think it's a question of the material it is made of, rather, the quality of the brand.

It's like comparing aluminum subs to paper ones, if enough money is put into one or the other, it's going to sound great, regardless of what material is used.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1856
its proven that paper hit harder louder and cleaner than metal, why cuz re audio adire audio just paper just look in the back of all of their cones an dull see, and yes its all about the built quiality, plus its aloooooot lighter than alumuminum, and adire re and atomic and other the process of the i think its called pressed paper and stuff and they only put a coat of polypropylene or other material to make it look better and that helps too.

metal have higher resonance freqensy, sometimes metals sound alot louder than the silk on 20k hz and up going up to 30hzz in most cases(sony piooner and others) and the human ear can only hear from 20hz-20k hz so the metals somtimes exece that no i mean abuse the silk play better in normal freq that are not anoyying but its in the built quiality, take a look at jl, mb quart,diamond they use metals and they build them so well that they dont have any harsh

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 276
Silk tweeter because I value my hearing later on in life....Titanium makes me want to scream out in agony

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4836
here is the end of thread statement.:-)

go look at the $10K Rainbow Reference Line:-)

silk tweeter.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5016
well since muddy ended the thread, don't really have much to say. lol.

Username: Brucebrown

Post Number: 7
[QUOTE lilrob] its proven that paper hit harder louder and cleaner than metal, why cuz re audio adire audio just paper just look in the back of all of their cones an dull see, and yes its all about the built quiality, plus its aloooooot lighter than alumuminum, and adire re and atomic and other the process of the i think its called pressed paper and stuff and they only put a coat of polypropylene or other material to make it look better and that helps too.

metal have higher resonance freqensy, sometimes metals sound alot louder than the silk on 20k hz and up going up to 30hzz in most cases(sony piooner and others) and the human ear can only hear from 20hz-20k hz so the metals somtimes exece that no i mean abuse the silk play better in normal freq that are not anoyying but its in the built quiality, take a look at jl, mb quart,diamond they use metals and they build them so well that they dont have any harsh[QUOTE]

I am not sure that anyone in this thread actually has presented any real reasons as to why metal domes tend to be harsher in their break up nodes than silks.

It is quite simple that one can not say that paper, aluminum, titanium or any material itself yields a better response.

However I will address lilrob's points first. Remember that what is going on in a tweeter into the ultrasonics with a silk is that due to a much much less stiff cone (around 100 times less stiff than an equal weight aluminum cone) is you are getting distortions into the 6khz-10khz bandwidths with rather large resonances into the audible spectrum, but they are dampened several times better than the resonance points of a metal.

Does this mean the silk has better sound quality (less distortion)? of course not.

generally speaking an aluminum dome will have a flat FR with higher break up nodes. This is rather meaningless towards "expensive parts" or "putting a lot of money" into a tweeter, simply because an aluminum dome will cost identical to a silk dome, glass fiber dome (vastly superior to silks), or any other dome material.

If you want to get into hard domes that would scoff at silks in clarity and you would never dare say are harsh look into the corrundom domes from accuton, magnesium domes from seas and a million other ultra light weight, ultra high stiffness domes (and might I mention these domes are actually EXPENSIVE for a dome... still cheap though).

You can not say either that the 10,000 dollar rainbows is a reference speaker for SQ as a basis for saying silks are better either. It should be noted that Seas' highest line of automotive tweeters they sell is aluminum.

Also paper/polypropelene and other dome materials are around 0.9GPA in modulus for a really, really good material. Titanium that is heat treated can be as high as 180GPA. 200 times stiffer per thickness, which only pushes nodes higher and higher in frequency.

this has been argued for years about drivers from 6.5 inch to 25mm in size. Cone materials only matter when there are no nodes in the audible spectrum. Otherwise a highly dampened material is going to "sound better" to your ear even if it has higher even order distortions and more resonance's.

"Why do you think tube amps are so popular"

I would say in conclusion though "that I would take a stiffer dome in a tweeter any day. I would rather have no resonance's than have 2-3 within the bandwidth"

Gold Member

Post Number: 4845
everybody has an opinion. and SQ is COMPLETELY subjective.

i was simply trying to make a point.
some companies favor metal and others favor fabric.

choose whichever one sounds better to you.

Username: Brucebrown

Post Number: 8
"Sound quality by definition is a flat frequency response and low distortion. To say it is completely subjective is not grounded on any fact. If you tend to like, for instance, 12db peaks from 80hz-150hz that does not mean that is in fact sound quality. That is your preference. Whichever driver can be said to have the lowest distortion products, flattest frequency response, or even less odd order distortions (distortions that your ears do not like) can be argued to have superior sound quality. The reason people use the subjective debate is because there are several different ways to argue what makes one
driver better sounding than the next. Often though so many myths are spread that the consumer hears what he wants to hear and not what is actually there.

"Also it should be noted that if there is no resonance within the audible spectrum from cone break up the Frequency response should be superior to any driver with a break up node. With a good motor design this will sound superior to MOST people.

I understand completely were you are coming from.
The Rainbow Reference Driver is a great driver, wich is dynamic in multiple ways and I consider it ''High End'' Great Choice Muddy if you own them
I was Just trying to help clarify the reasons behind those audible response differences.
Aswell as if there are response problems this is not due to "not spending enough money" but rather to the wrong material being chosen at to thin a gauge.

I myself for instance prefer a much stiffer metal like Beryllium. My point is that Most people has neither heard all metal domes and ceramics that exist, or all fabrics. The majority has only heard
two types of metal, and just silks which is no where near all of the choices.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4595
The most expensive Tweeters I have seen are these (made out of a type of metal-Beryllium, which is expensive): http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4315

I'm sure there are more expensive tweeters out there. But after such a price range, diminishing returns start to come into play :-)

And Bruce,

quote:

This is rather meaningless towards "expensive parts" or "putting a lot of money" into a tweeter, simply because an aluminum dome will cost identical to a silk dome, glass fiber dome (vastly superior to silks), or any other dome material.

I wasn't saying they cost the same (even though they clearly can), I was saying more expensive manufacturers can make either one sound good.

But Muddy has the best point, SQ is completely subjective :-)

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 682
yeah personally silk all of the way, excelltent detail. at low and high volumes.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2690
the CAL-26 hard domes that i have with my Rainbow Pofi Vanadiums are some of the best sounding, most detailed, smoothest tweeters i've ever heard. not the least bit harsh. running the sets passive with 250W a side, kicks and Zapco power, simbilink system.

i've had: (not in order)
Boston Rally's
Boston Pro's (old versions)
Alpine Type X's (old versions)
CDT HD 3 ways
JL XR 3 ways
and compared in the car listning enviroment with MB Quart and Focal too.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1075
Quality metal tweeters produce more natural sound than fabric, ceramic, etc...

Each material has its pros and cons.

The truth is that since a lot of recordings are less than true, and a lot of recordings use electronic synthesyzers to mimic other instruments, you get a rather harsh sound in the tweeter section.

So by default I choose the soft domes because I hate that harsh sound.:-)

If recordings were "true", and synthesizers actually sounded like the real thing, then I would definetly use a metal tweeter.

My all time favorites are the;
Vifa D25AG35-06
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=9153757.20802&pid=1323
MB Quart

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3200
Silk all the way for me. Smooth sound without harsh peaks.

I like my music to sound natural, not like some of the cars your hear driving around w/ nothing but *tick-tick-tick-boom-tick-boom-tick-tick*

Oh..and on a side note, if you are driving around w/ your tweets and subs only...dear god, please drop your treble alil and get some mids. LMAO

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3201
BTW...i'm not planning to spend $800 on components...lol

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2695
the $800 comment refered to me Marshall?? cuz i didn't spend $800 on my Rainbows i spent $700, lol :-)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3207
nope...didnt refer to you Brandon. LMAO

$700 for components is crazy man...dam

every thing i have in my truck right now cost me ~$1150.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2698
lol, the MSRP for almost any 1 item in my car is about $1150. thats crazy. i didn't pay near MSRP for any of it though :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4855
i am basing my opinions on real world experience.....i don't have a set of metal domes...nor would i know how to tweak them to make them sound how i want.

i have heard silks....and i have heard metal domes...and the music always seemed to blend better and not sound....."as harsh" with the fabrics.

all i am saying^ lol

i am sure the Rainbow Titaniums sound awesome...and the berylliums as well....according to some people they sound like crap cough Jonathan cough...but that is TOTALLY OPINION...which is what it all comes back to.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us