Recomendation for tuning

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 155
ok i went to a local car shop today and they had a ported box for 12 and stuff and i can't build boxes so i was just goin to buy one, but i got 2 w3's and i asked him what the box was tuned to and he dind't know, but he said it was prolly around like 45--50 hz, and he said this was recomended if i was to port the w3's, i wanted to go like 32hz or something, but im not sure...so shoudl i get the box that is 45hz or what...i thought tha was a little high

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1507
no! they'll sound like shi_t that high, unless you don't care. i had a pair of w3's ported at 32hz and they were nice. he's just trying to make a sale.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3188
for w3's i would do 32-35hz.

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 156
is there any way that you can tell what a box is tuned to based on the length width and height, i know you can determine how mnay cubic feet it is but as for tuning, is there anyway because on ebay they have a bunch of boxes but none of them tell what it is tuned to...thanks

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3192
yes...you can determine the boxes volume and subtract the port volume and sub displacment.

this will give you net volume...then you figure out the port area and length. you can use that to find tuning freq w/ a box calculator...ex WinISD

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 515
the tuning frequency can be calculated out on paper but its not a tiny formula. it involves the port area and lenth in relation to the enclosure's volume. just google ported tuning frequency formula if you wanna check it out. but i doubt any pre-fab boxes on ebay will list the port area, length, and enclosure volume. your best bet, as always, will be to have a custom enclosure built for you. good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us