Chadlee, lilrob, polo ect...(whats better cap) no dumb@$$es

Silver Member
Username: Swisher

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 302
heres some that i found what one would work the best

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-FARAD-TSUNAMI-PP1005DM-CAP-COMPETITION-CAP-CAPACITOR_W0QQi temZ280021605499QQihZ018QQcategoryZ75388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPL-CP5-0-5-FARAD-DIGITAL-CAPACITOR-5-0-CAP-w-VOLTMETER_W0QQ itemZ300021010089QQihZ020QQcategoryZ75388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-PCNC-3F-5-Farad-Car-Audio-Capacitor-Cap_W0QQi temZ220020375501QQihZ012QQcategoryZ75388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDSTREAM-SC-5CA-5-0-FARAD-DIGITAL-CAP-NEW_W0QQitemZ290023 014027QQihZ019QQcategoryZ75388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 534
alumapro or stinger are the best

id go with the tsunami :-)

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1597
y do u want a cap???
tht seems like a dumb@$$ move

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4982
go with a stinger ro rockford fosgate. audiobahn caps are good too. yes i said it. audiobahn.

not only are the audiobahn caps pretty good, they look pretty.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4984
why don't this bump sometimes. very frustrating.

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 535
if u have an ho alt ... and u want a cap ... get an ALUMAPRO ... they are very good products

and ur right chad audiobahn caps looks dope... lol

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4542

quote:

y do u want a cap???
tht seems like a dumb@$$ move

He wants to learn the hard way :-)

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4986
well having a cap won't hurt it either. infact with the ho alt he would benefit a little from the cap.

besides the lights on the caps look nice.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4544
To each their own I guess, if the original poster wishes to spend 60-130 for a pretty-looking piece of metal, it is his choice.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8929
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/capacitor1.htm ........

good read 4 us all .........

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3237
and dont ever call anyone on this forum a dumbazz, the only one that seems to be on here is you because ur the one wanting a capacitor

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3238
bump

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1840
stinger and tsunami, but i rather get a kinetik cap on soniclectronix actualy its a battcap it will be just like a cap but with storage of a 500 farad,

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7324.html

and this kinetik will charge as fast as a normal cap alil slower but it will charge fast

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 510
I'd have to agree with Rob, Kinetik is the way to go :-)

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 162
Zac, how'd you do at the comp?

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 304
i said the for dumb@$$es not to post we done went through this if u dont like me gettin a cap get over it u dont have to post about how u callin me stupid and stuff

a ho alt dont stop lights from dimming if u dont belive me just go ahead and ask the professionals like nate from excessive amperage and yes a caop will help lights dimmin and no im not getting it to help a powering problem cuz i got a 235amp ho alt from nate and a kenetic 2400 on the way soon a cap does help some maybe not a huge bit but some so u dumb@$$es can go shove a 10 ft pole up ur @$$ yes that means u bassman jexx and drivingreckless it is mainly for looks and also it is efficent

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 305
there was a post a while back about the cap killer but a few people said it was completly shitty idea and no one said anything good about it....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4579
Normally, I wouldn't respond to such an ignorant post, but I'll say this: do what you want. We are acting with good intentions and telling you you're wasting your money. Ask any Electrical Engineer and he'll tell you a capacitor for your car audio system is a waste of money. Flaming people on this board will get you nowhere, and shows what kind of person you really are. The members you mentioned are extremely knowledgeable in car audio and give out excellent advice.

That's all I have to say. I'm not reading/responding to any more comments in this thread.

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 132
Zac kicked @$$ at that comp :-)http://www.termpro.com/asp/eventresults5.asp?Image=E8837W1M20904P19&Event_ID=883 7
http://www.termpro.com/asp/eventresults5.asp?Image=E8837W1M20904P24&Event_ID=883 7
Those pictures didn't catch all of the smoke coming out of the exhaust of Zac's car haha.

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 306
well i didnt ask if u guys thought i needed a cap or not i asked what one works the best and like i said a cap will help light dimming and yes it does help take a load off your alt and battery and yes i know who the ones that i stated are but when people learn to actually read and respond in a decent way instead of for instance drivingreckless calling me a dumb@$$ i didnt say that everyone on here is but i alrdy caught crap from people on another post about caps so i didnt want anyone to sit here and tell me if i need one or not i just want opinions on what caps are the best

"heres some that i found what one would work the best"

i dont state anywhere in there asking if i need one or not i said "what one would work the best" not do i need one so if people are goin to call me a dumb@$$ cuz i wanna know what caps are the better i am goin to let some steam off

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3259
and an alternator does help your light from dimmin, lmao. your light are not dimmin because of your battery... lol

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3260
if it doesnt help, you must have your alt wired wrong. read up on how an alternator works

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 307
did u read what i said?
"a ho alt dont stop lights from dimming if u dont belive me just go ahead and ask the professionals like nate from excessive amperage"

yes it will help it but will not stop it completly and yes nate has said that because we have talked about it before in person

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1849
battcaps are great in my shop they sell battcaps from xstacy, and they are not a well know brand but they help a lot the most typical cap that i install its a power acoustik 5 farad it was a customer that wanted 2 5 farad power acoustikcs caps he had 3500 rms of power on stock electrical i helped him to do the b ig three and with the two caps he only got alil dimmin but it was not a big problem, then his alternator got faked up, he replace with a 200 amps alternator form iraggi, he still got dimmin he put the 2 caps in there and have a lil dimming then theres a kinetik official shop like 6 blocks he got a battcap from kinetik and all the dimming stopped, i tested his voltage it was 13.4 with engine off, 14.6 with engine on, when he had his system at mid power his voltage dropped at 11.3 i installed the kinetik and his voltage only dropped to 13.2 that the minimun that i saw and lights dimm alil when its in full power.

yes i recomend regular caps( tsunami,bahns,stinger, streetwires)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3261
your better off getttin a good yellow top to with your good HO alt then gettin a cap. if you add a cap, you will NOT notice any kind of difference in sound.

so thats why everyone says they are a waste of money, your better off gettin a yellow top battery.

Caps DO NOT:

1. Smooth voltage rails; it's a common misconception
2. provide any extra power for your amp
3 Make your lights not dim

Caps do:

1. Filter the dc current

A alternator doesnt COMPLETELY fix ur headlight problem, but it will make it a ton better if not noticible at all

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3264
get your alt in, and your big 3 upgrade and i would guarentee your light will not dim, if so, not even noticlable.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1436
my lights dont dim. i win.

if you do get a cap get an alumapro they make great stuff.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5010
well jake my lights don't dim either so does that mean i win too? lol.

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 167
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1438
nope. i win.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1410
Alumapros are sh!t they use a carbon series that has a wayyy to high of an ESR. Thanks to wolfman who clued me in on it. I would recommend a stinger supercap, nice units I found a 3 Farad used for $100 shipped. I do agree some people who keep ragging on others for asking such a question about caps need to educate themselves before they respond. A high output alt will NOT prevent you light from dimming, it can't. The reason being (here we go AGAIN) is the voltage regulator is too slow, fact. When your HO alt produces a voltage of say 15.1V and you have sufficient draw from the amps durring a transient responce it will bring the voltage down to battery voltage, usually around 12.8V. This is over a 2 volt drop. This does not mean that your alt is bad but the fact it takes time for it to react. A 2V drop over your elec system at night can and will produce a "disco ball" effect. Usually the people who say they don't get flashing lights are the ones who don't have sufficient draw, obviously. I have a 300A alt and still have flashing lights until I installed my cap, even under heavy BB there isn't even a flicker...Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 308
thanks for the backup polo i tried to explain that but alot of these people here arnt runnin 5krms and like i said i asked nathan peddicord about it and he said basically the same thing u did

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4840
so get one.

why do you care what we think....it is going in your car. lol

i say go with Stinger, they are NICE.:-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3276
yea really.

I understand that ur going for looks and thats what most people do wiht caps, but i am just sayin, install your HO alt, and ur big 3, and i will guarentee your light will not dim. You apologized ot jexx and not me jb?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5635
I've said it pefore, if you use the caps properly, it can help. It is not that hard to simulate a condition where you can see the benefits.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1422
"install your HO alt, and ur big 3, and i will guarentee your light will not dim."

I like to know how you would do this if the alternator builders can't do it? :-) Polo..

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3281
i have seen many applications where a person adds an HO alt, and there is no dimming

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3282
:-)

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 312
but is it 5k rms?
and u wasnt on aim when i was bassman and yea i got a lil outta hand sorry just tryin to get people to stop spamming my thread about how i dont need one when i just wanted to know what ones was better

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3529
hey guys,

your HO alternator is only as good as the batteries in the vehicle, that will push that current! Its NO need for any capacitors if u have sufficent battery backup to push ALL the current over your wires...

the main question here, is how much rms are u pushing to make ur lights dim?

my 300a ho alt never made my lights flicker. But when I was pushin 5krms with 1 300a ho and 1 battery, I could make things flicker a lil bit... << that was because I had insufficent batteries to push that much power! You need atleast 4-5 batteries to push 5krms...

yes, u can hook it up with 1 battery and think ur gettin full power, or EVEN ADD a cap! or EVEN A 5 farad cap, but u will NEVER get full power from the amplifer(s) unless you have SUFFICENT battery backup....

all I have to say, from testing and experience... :-)

even Dom from Irragi Alternators will tell you 5 batteries for 5krms, thats atleast 1 extra battery per 1krms!

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 535
^^ agreed

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3284
x2. i still believe a cap is unnecessary

Gold Member

Post Number: 4857
ISAAC!!!!!!!:-)

B!!!!!!!!!:-)

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 642
"Chadlee, lilrob, polo ect...(whats better cap) no dumb@$$es"

i hate it when people say that. so what your'e saying is that anyone who reccomends a wrong product or doesn't know a good one is a dumb@$$. but since you don't know either you are also a dumb@$$

Gold Member

Post Number: 4867
^^^^^hmmmmmmmm.:-)

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 320
i just got done sayin for people not to spam the thread with bs like that and there goes another dumb@$$ who cant read or respect me the reason i said that was cuz people took over the last thread sayin the same $h1t so i didnt want spam i wanted opinions on good caps now do i need to postthe same thing for the 5th time or did ur lil mind manage to understand it that go round?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5035
damn get the cap already JB. who cares what people say. post pics please when you get it installed.

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 321
still not sure what one to get a cap killer or a stinger cap?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5039
stinger. you can't lose with stinger. but like B said, you might want to get some extra batteries if you are going to be running that much power.

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 322
im gettin ether the 2000 or 2400 kinetic + the one thats in there now

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1425
B has a good point but the issues that I have experienced has nothing to do with battery voltage. If you HO alt puts out 15V and you have a significant current draw, enough to catch your voltage regulator off guard, and it isn't hard to do, your voltage will go from 15 to 12.8 quicker than sh!t. I am not talking about dimming caused by inadequate alt/battery voltage which would be measured below 12V but just as said above, voltage drop caused by slow reaction time of a regulator. This is very well known and is under several websites. This is taken off of bcae.com under charging system.

"If, on a long bass note, the lights dim just for a fraction of a second but return to their original brightness while the note/tone is still playing, the alternator's regulator may just be a little slow in reacting to the voltage drop. Since the lights return to their original brightness during the bass note, the alternator is able to supply the current needed by your power your amplifiers and other electrical accessories."

Even though it is a fraction of a second it is highly noticeable, especially if you are using music with short transient beats. In fact if I was to run test tones, I get no dimming, just because the tone is long enough to allow the regulator to kick in. Now extra batteries keep the voltage from dropping below 12.8 V and that is it. I am only running 2500rms+ and never with the vehicle off so additional batteries (unless I was dropping my battery voltage) would be useless because it doesn't drop below the amplifiers required voltage. Now if I was running 5K, that would be pushing the 300A alt to its limits and a few extra bateries would come into play. Polo... :-O

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2262
i hvae a voodoo i like it even though i dont use it anymore but caps.

i didnt read the whole thing but if someone already said this sorry but

a cap can help the efficiency of the power going to the amp also it is just for power factoring corrections someimtes the amp will want more and the cap will ahve it in it it cat hurt to have it there it can only help if you have the power

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1426
Charlie, how big is that cap, getting rid of it? :-O

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5636
Here's the thing, before you go worrying about dimming lights with HO alternator, get a DMM and monitor the car's voltage. In 99.9% of the cases, the dimming lights will be attributed to the voltage dropping slightly from 14.4v to 13.5v at high volume. This is normal and it will NOT cause any damage to your charging system.
If however, the voltage drops below 12.5v, then you need a stronger alternator.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1434
"In 99.9% of the cases, the dimming lights will be attributed to the voltage dropping slightly from 14.4v to 13.5v at high volume. This is normal and it will NOT cause any damage to your charging system."

Ya but it is sure annoying/embarrasing to see at night, lol. Plus I wouldn't call this "dimming" per say but more of a "flashing".... :-O

Gold Member

Post Number: 4881
see there....and i was worried all this time....it's only flashing......

:-O

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2264
1.2 farad

i have the one thats mounts its not the regular round one i forget the real name for it but its all crome

http://voodoocaraudio.com/voodoo/products.php?id=search_item

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2265
neva mind thats not it ill try to find a pic

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3531
seems like he needs a batcap! :-O
reaction time is quicker than most alternator regulators, and supplies current not just voltage like a regular capacitor!

but Polo, I see ur point, and the regulator has alot to do with it, also how much current ur alternator puts out at idle has alot to do with it!! if u rev the rpms to 2krpms Im sure there is NO dimming!

all this should be taken in effect...

goes back to them charging 900$ for a batcap! :-)

Silver Member

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 333
na i can get one from a shop for around 250 an xstatic

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3532
not a batcap 8500!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1442
"but Polo, I see ur point, and the regulator has alot to do with it, also how much current ur alternator puts out at idle has alot to do with it!! if u rev the rpms to 2krpms Im sure there is NO dimming!"

Ummmm B, you are overlooking one oversight, If the battery is full and unless the demand is there, a transient responce that requires 200A will indeed make the lights dimm regardless of the engine rpm ! My alt puts out 225A at idle under ideal conditions but it does not put out the 225A continuous, no alt does (unless modified) it goes by demand and unless you are running a continuous test tone, it will not be there. With a full battery your alt may only be putting out 30A or less during the day and it will do that until you play your system. There really isn't anything to put strain on the elec system until you hit a bass note, especially if you running class d's, idle current is hardly any. If your alt is putting out 30A and all of a sudden you hit a bass note with +9dbs of BB on 3/4 volume and a set of Kicker sx1250's strapped @1ohm (supposed to be 2 ohm), that sucker gonna throw some juice and your regulator is not gonna catch it in time. You guys must not strain your sh!t as I do, maybe we all need to make some vids of mirror flex and stuff, lol. Funny all this is beating my sx15 silly and it is still holding out, lol. Polo.. :-)

Ps- If a cap didn't also store current it would never charge! The energy stored is equal to the supply eneryg in both current/voltage, FACT....:-O

PSS->(Definition)

A capacitor is an electrical device that can store energy in the electric field between a pair of closely spaced conductors (called 'plates'). When current is passed through the capacitor, electric charges of equal magnitude, but opposite polarity, build up on each plate..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us