15" LCD TV wiring question

Username: Woodman

Post Number: 1
I noticed that on some LCD TV's the AC power adapter converts the power to 12v DC. Is this the same type of 12V DC current that a vehicles battery uses? Is it possible to install an LCD TV that uses an AC to DC power adapter in a vehicle without using the power adapter, and an additional power inverter, if i ran direct power from the vehicles battery to the 12v DC in on the tv?
The TV lists the power input as 12V DC, but im just making sure that I can run the power from the battery directly into the tv by adapting a plug.

Heres an example of one of the types of LCD TV's that uses the AC to DC power adapter. It lists the power supply as:
Power Supply 100~240V, 50/60 Hz, 12V DC

heres a link to a lcd tv that uses the same type of ac to dc power adapter - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889237007

The reason i want to do this is that i cannot find a 15" monitor specifically made for vehicles that is not a flip down ceiling mount type. I am building a custom console and I would like to put a 15" lcd tv in it....

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4561

quote:

Is this the same type of 12V DC current that a vehicles battery uses?

A car puts out 12.7-14.4v, I'm not sure if the unit would be equipped enough to handle such voltage differences as the voltage regulator is most likely in the adaptor. It's worth a try, though. That is one crazy monitor.

Bronze Member
Username: Psychedelic_feta

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 23
Woodman, 15inch in a dash is ridiculous! Go with a 10 inch raw lcd touchscreen that you can tie into a carputer with a controller board, or use just a nontouchscreen 10 inch lcd and tie it into a Head unit or other source of your choice.

What do you drive? a hummer h1? A CXT international? What could fit 15 inches...?

Username: Stacey

hey im wanting to put a playstation 2 in my car with a 7 inchlcd monitor can anyone help me how i go about doing this i have 2 lighter sockets in my car i have a subaru legacey hope you all can helpUpload
Upload

Username: Bigshawnn216

Post Number: 3
I used one of these, you can get one at an auto store, check the link out http://caraudio.avdeals.com/powerinverters/powerinverter.htm , hope it helps.

Username: Bennett21

WOW you guys really are worthless. If he wanted to go 10" he would and if he wanted to use the power inverter he would.

I have the same problem but I guess this is not the forum to ask on.

Im putting a 15" monitor in a limo and I dont want to blow the damn thing up. I lost the ac/dc inverter for it so now I need other options.

Will the car power blow the tv up if wired in directly?

If you dont know dont answer.

Username: Bennett21

Post Number: 2
No insult to Jexx. Your input was helpful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us