OT- What happened to my truck

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 647
Alright, I was on my way to the US today and waiting at the border (2 hr line !!) This was stop turn off the truck and turn it on again traffic. When I was about 5 minutes from the border my truck wouldn't turn on. I don't know why this happened, I took out my subs before I left my place but the amp was still hooked up. So I pop the hood and take a look at the battery and over the positive terminal its completely corroded. So I cleaned it off and got a jump start and everything worked. The customs officer said that when I hooked up my system I used a brass bolt to attach it to the battery he said you should always use stainless. Is this true ?? and what caused this to happen to my truck ?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4507
Based on this: http://www.brass.org/Whychoo/Corrosio.htm

I would say that isn't the case.

I had a similar thing happen, and it was the o-ring for one of my amps, the amp didn't turn on, I opened the hood and it had corroded off. I just got one of these:

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 69
how come u have so many wires going to that ? just asking... and i put my bros amp that is only 600 wattsa nd an eclipse sub in and my light were dimming what does that mean.. does it mean i need an alternator or a capacitor?

Bronze Member
Username: Theforgottenman

Post Number: 46
He might be connecting one of those wires to a capacitor. I am doing it for mines with a Rocksford Fosgate 1 fared cap.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4512
I wanted to use all of my pre-existing wires, rather than spending more money and getting 1/0 gauge for my car plus another distro block. I have three amps plus a head unit hooked up through the battery plus the input of the alt and outputs for the starter and fuse box for the car are necessary as well...a.k.a. a lot of necessary wires :-)

I would avoid caps, they mask the problem until the alt dies. It would be better off with a high output alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us