Will it clip? At what level??

Silver Member
Username: Aman2005

Post Number: 287
Hi guys, just curious to know that if a system in not matched with, I mean woofers having higher rms and amp having low rms, say SW having 800 or 1000 and amp having 650 or 900, will taht clip? If so atwhich level? An amp which is putting is rated power, at which level of volume will it start to clip??

Also in the case of higher rms amp and lower woofers, at beyond which level, it can cause the sub to blow??

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
anyone

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 629
ok heres a simple explanation of how it works, a 1000rms sub will not blow with 500rms UNLESS your amp gain is not matching the pre-out voltage of your head unit. and you turn your head unit past 3/4 generally clipping point for HU's where it sends a square wave to the amp and the amp amplifys the wave and over heats your sub causing it to blow.

if you have a 1000rms amp on a 500rms woofer it all depends on the actuall thermal limits of the sub and the time played, and the temp of the sub to begin with, say it was sitting in a hot car and is already 120 degrees. a quality sub may be able to burp this power but for daily use you dont want to over power it that much. if this was the only choice you have then turn the gain on the amp so the voltage is higher then the actuall voltage of your HU pre outs. and dont turn your HU past 3/4 volume.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
ok, In case of underpowering???

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 631
that was in the top part.

a sub doesnt cause the amp to clip.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4944
your sub can also clip if you have insufficient charging system. not enough power going to the amp can cause it to clip also.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4770
the main reason i think^^^

unless you are the type of person tou crank you HU as high as it will go.

when i see people do that i just smile inside.:-)<-- like that

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 149
thats what i like to do just crank that sh*t up and pound thats why im so concerned cuz i just got a PG 15.0:1 and im gonna run 2 Kappa perfect 12.1s with it and its too much power for then at 2 ohms and i was wondering if i could set my gain way down so that when i have full volume im only putting in about 750 rms on them instead of the full 1000. is this possible?

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
OK, say, I have a good 900 watts amp and running a 1000 watt sub, not at very higher volumes, but enough to get heard from a distance, is there any chance of clipping?

If amp is clipping, how could I know?/?

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
anyone have comments on last reply??

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
no one knw this???

Strange

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 640
dude you need to have a good charging system set your gain on your amp to your pre out voltage, and not turn your head unit past 3/4 volume and it will not clip did you even bother to read the other posts. the only way to really tell if it is clipping is look at the waves with an oscilscope(sp?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us