Optima

Silver Member
Username: Halter

Paulding, Ohio

Post Number: 220
what top should I get ..?? .. which is the best for my motor plus my system..I going ot replace my battery under hood??

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1425
i'd say yellow top, but from what i've read their only really needed if you play your system alot with the car off.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4692
Red Top.

Yellow is a deep cycle application batt.

not needed and from what i have gathered will reduce the life of the batt if being constantly charged by an alt. and having to give up charge(which they also aren't known to do easily) which also shortens the life. my 2 cents

Silver Member
Username: Halter

Paulding, Ohio

Post Number: 221
well red top has 3 year warrenty on them soo....well I get it try it out! thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4700
good.:-)

peace and chicken grease...

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 552
I went thru 3 redtops in a week. If you run them dead, they don't recharge very well. Autozone actually denied my warranty, so i can no longer exchange, if anohter messes up then i jus get refunded. but, wat they dint realize is that after they refund my money i can jus buy another from them :P.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4708

quote:

I went thru 3 redtops in a week. If you run them dead, they don't recharge very well.

that is b/c it is not a deep cycle battery, take it below a 12V charge....and bye bye red top.

but you won't have to worry about that if it is under the hood.:-) WHERE it belongs. lol

the Red top is not a good...."let me play my system at full blast with the car off" battery.

that is what the yellow top is for.:-):-)

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 381
What if I have a 300amp alt and 5000w rms...

Single Yellowtop or Redtop?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8890
recently a very experienced installer told me he find Odysey 2 be the best drycell available now ,something about it being able 2 discharge current faster than others & better storage capacity .......

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4463
Awesome posts, Muddy.

It's true, I've seen a lot of people buying yellow tops for no reason, even Optima has a chart showing that you get more current from a red top (and even a traditional battery, though I think they manipulated the tradtional battery specs in their favor):

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 217
so unless you play your system with the car off you dont need a yellowtop and i'm in a similair situation with alex "What if I have a 300amp alt and 5000w rms...

Single Yellowtop or Redtop?"

Gold Member

Post Number: 4720
thanks Jexx.

i was grilled many times until i fully understanded what each was for. lol

i see people with Yellowtops under the hood and i laqugh to myself. i don't bother saying anything.:-)

it all depends on where it is going guys....

if it is in the trunk...i would get a yellowtop...and a battery isolator. i think, i get confused on those things

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6327
yup thats right Muddy^:-) Way to be edubicated:-)
Just to let you know 300 amps is not sufficient to handle 5000(true) watts. You would need 2 of those alt's to nicely run 5000(true) watts.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1329
heh - even if you have a HO alt - and are pulling a lot of power - redtops will die quickly. A single redtop, can be pretty easily dropped below 12v in stop and go traffic (i.e. rush hour on a freeway, or inner city driving..) if you're system is turned up.. I have a 200 amp alt from excessive amps, and still killed a redtop in less than 2 weeks without playing my system with it off. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4742
then you need a bigger alt.:-)

b/c i know your secret, battery killer.:-)

...get rid of the bandpass boxes!!! lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us