Wondering about porting a box

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 159
OK well I built one box already but I still dont fully understand porting a box and everything...I know that the more port area you have the longer the ports have to be but what I am wondering is will 2 4" ports be enough area for a 15" Rl-p??? I plan on building the box to be 2.6 cuft after sub and port displacement and I want to tune it to like 30 hz....so would that be ok or do I need more port area....If anyone has a link or something that I can read up on I really dont understand porting and would just like to learn more about it.

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 113
check out this post i made before it should explain it all for you and just a suggestion but you might want to tune to 35 to 40 hz because the car itself is going to give a significant bassboost to the lowend becasue of its acoustics(size and air leaking). this will yeild an overall flatter response curve with louder max spl.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/261736.html

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 114
I recieved this Email from the head engineer of Digital Design i hope this clears everything up. After 20 years of research on our part, our dealers and users part, we have narrowed it down to a rather simple formula for great results. These results were based on IN-CAR testing with every sort of vehicle on our roads. With our formula of 16 square inches of vent per net cubic foot of enclosure volume the port length of 16" gave us a round about 40Hz tuning which seemed to be the best all around enclosure tuning frequency. This does not go to say that tuning to 35Hz using our area formula will end with disastrous effects. You simply extend the port but keep the area to keep efficiency high and keep from overdriving your vent. There is a ratio of 1:3 that is something you want to keep close to when dealing with our enclosure volume chart. Port being 1:3 with the driver area. If you stay in that neighborhood, even applying high power will prove hard to overdrive the vent.

Im not sure if this means you can go bigger than 1:3 or not but ill get back to you and let you know what he says.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 115
sorry i sent the wrong link so i just copyed what i wanted you to see. but that it is still a good link for you to look at it clears up the last line of my second post. sry about the mess but i think you wiill be satisfied with this explination.

Silver Member

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 162
I really dont want to tune it that high becuase I like to feel the lows....I really like it when the bass is surrounding you and you feel it on your chest..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 117
well 40 hz is very low but its your call. just for a little prespective on how low 40 hz is though, many subs use xovers to play Fq's 20hz-120hz and not much higher out of a sub. but i hope the rest of he info was what you were looking for.

Silver Member

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 163
yes that was....I have the sub in a box tuned to 31 hz now....but the box isnt built very well and is leaking air so I want to build a new one.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 119
yea deffinately should do that or fix the old one

Silver Member

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 167
yeah....The box is just too big I didnt plan it out well enough b4 i started to build...just to extcited to hear the sub...but this next one will be very planed out...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us