Watts

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 658
ok say if i run 1 12 type r an its a dual 4ohm sub an i run it @ 8ohms mean while the amp iam usin is a orion 2500 an its 1200 @ 4ohms 1700 @ 2ohms an 2500 @1ohm so if i run the sub @ 8ohms how many watts will b workin 2 power the sub ?

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 177
probably 600 or less

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 660
ko0l sounds go0d thankx

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 617
y would u run it at 8 ohms when u can run it at 2?

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 178
how much power can a type r take?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6259
500 watts 600 if you are nice to it. First you need to know if the amp is stable at 8ohms which if my memory serves me correctly it isnt. if it is it would prob still put out enough power to cook your type r.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3141
you can runs as high an resistance to an amp as you want...you could run that amp at 50ohm if you wanted to.

you get into trouble when you try to run at a lower resistance than the amp is rated for.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6270
hey Marshall go to the amp section there is a post for you. My PPI a600 is only stable between 4ohms mono and 8 ohms mono, they told me not to run it anything under 4 or anything over 8.

Username: Likeapuma

Washington/Utah

Post Number: 5
James, that is very strange. I've never heard that before. Impedance restricts the flow of power from your receiver or amplifier. So if your amp is stable down to 2 ohms, then running it at 12 ohms just means your asking it to put out less current making less of a pipe-stress the amp has to deal with. So running an amp at a higher ohm load is fine.

And S.P.D., if your amp puts out 1200 watts at four ohms, and you run it at 8 ohms, your power will not be cut in half. The ratio doesn't work like that. I can't remember the formula right off the top of my head but at 8 ohms you should get something like 850 watts.

-C

Username: Likeapuma

Washington/Utah

Post Number: 6
OK, I just completely lied to you, 850 isn't right. I was thinking 4-6 ohms, not 4-8. It might cut your power in half, it depends on your amps circuitry.

-C
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us