Amp turning on and off

Bronze Member
Username: Kdawg

Post Number: 22
i just got a kenwood kac-959 5,4,3 channel amp and i just hooked it up and it keeps turning on and off repeatidly and no music will play through it can someone please help me out

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 839
not enough power. Is the car running when this happens? Check how many volts are at the amp. what size wire? is ground ok? is the rem always live when hu is on? Check these things with a DMM.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
ok well i have a kinda small cable for 6-800 watt amp coming from my battery to my capacitor then i have two other amps also running from that. my cap reads around 14.30 volts when cars running. i didnt start my car to check to see if it keeps doin it while its running. and im sure my grounds are ok. cause i did a damn good job on them. but i also noticed when i disconnect the rca cables the light on my amp blinks faster.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4466
I'd ditch the cap, personally.

What gauge wire are you using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
im definetly not getting rid of my cap, why would i do that, and i think my power cable is like 4-6 gauge i cant remember

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
but the wire coming out my cap to the amp is only like 10-12 gauge

Username: Cavsmaxima

Post Number: 4
I had a similar problem... While i was driving my amp would jus go into protection. The reason was i had a lose groundwire and everytime some real bass hit, it shook it so hard the wire would touch metal which would make the amp go into safety mode so it wouldnt blow. Try taking all the wires out form your amp and put them in tighter. I dont know if its only the ground wire but thats how it was for me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i checked them twice and they're as good as can be

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4475
Why you don't need a cap: http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 841
Whats the voltage before the cap? 4-6 wire should be ok. Check connection at battery terminal, and ohm out your ground.

Username: Cavsmaxima

Post Number: 10
Is it heating up making it go into protection mode?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6348
I'm with Jexx ditch your cap. Did you charge the cap properly before installation? take it out and see if it still happens, and read the link Jexx posted you might learn a few things.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us