Classic car stereo

Username: Joepole

Fishkill, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Hi All,
Great forum. I have a 72 Road Runner and I would like some decent tunes but I am very limited without chopping things up. It will have only trunk package mounted 6x9 speakers in the rear. What speakers brand of do you think would be best? 3 way, 4 way, etc? I could go component and a surface mount tweeter but not sure how this sound with the 6X9 location. I will also be using a HU mounted under the front seat with a remote. I don't need a removable faceplate but would like something with good FM reception and satellite radio ready. I like Pioneer and Alpine but am open to anything.
Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4424
Why something satellite ready? That just means there is an overpriced proprietary box for the specific unit. It would be better to just get a head unit with an aux input, then buy a plug and play radio, then if you ever want to listen to satellite radio anywhere else, all you have to do is transfer the unit to a different car, to your house etc. However the majority of car stereos are 'satellite ready' anyway.

Just curious, are there only 6x9 cut outs in the rear? Ouch, this might be of interest to you: http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11584
that RR has a load of room. you're not that limited
radio can go in the glove box area or under the center console in a fiberglassed section to hold it.
front speakers go in the kick panel areas in fiberglassed kickpods holding 6.5" separates, subs in a box in the trunk, remove rear deck speakers to vent trunk into cabin.
amps in trunk in custom layout if you like.

Pretty much the same thing I did with my Charger.

Fishkill, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Interesting reading. Thanks. Yes....I only have 6X9 cutouts. I don't expect miracles here and looks like there aren't any. I will concentrate on the head unit then. I was thinking Pioneer DEH P3800MP.
Thanks.

Fishkill, NY USA

Post Number: 3
Sounds good Wolf but I don't want to cut anything up (doors,kick panel,etc). That's why I am limited here. Maybe I will look for some panels to cut up and save mine. Current HU is under seat so I would like to keep it there. I only drive car 3000 miles per year so don't want to dump a lot of $$ into a system either. Good stuff will go in my Dakota. Thx.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11591
ok you're not unerstanding me.
you make fiberglass kickpods that sit over top of or replace the factory panels below the dash, in front of the door hinges, in the kick spaces.
They hold speakers, and nothing has to be cut up.
Same thing for a center console unit to hold the head unit. Fiberglass one that looks factory and fits into an existing open space.
Two things I know. Mopars and Car audio.
Under the seat isn't a great place for the head unit either. If that's the route you plan to go however, consider using a 'remote commander' style unit with an AM/FM radio and CD changer that's designed to go uner the seat. Otherwise you'll have heat and wiring jumble issues.

Upload

Fishkill, NY USA

Post Number: 4
Great....I got ya now Wolf. As far as the 6.5 separates go....did you use surface mount tweeters up high like at the A-pillars? If so who makes good surface mounts? I was thinking MB Quart. Did you power the fronts from the HU and amp the rear or other set-up? Sweet Ride by the way.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 850
My suggestion is if your set on 6x9s, go to some audio shops and listen to em. Bring your own CD so you know what to listen for. Boston, Polk, eclipse, Alpine are some decent speakers for are widly avilable. You want to look for something in the $150-$200 range for decent speakers. Polk MOMO are pretty nice, as well as the DB series. Again you should listen to em cause some may sound tinny or hollow to your ear.

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 125
I know that alot of people say to put your tweeters in the A bar slightly below your head, but I was always under the impression that you wanted to keep it close to the woofer cone. Whats the truth to this?

Fishkill, NY USA

Post Number: 5
My understanding has always been to place the tweeters at ear level.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11598
actually how high they are isn't as vital as signal path length. you want the tweeters the same signal path distance as the mids from your ears. The best thing to do is move the speakers around until you find where they sound best, including positioning/aiming of them.

in my case I have a 3 way system in front, all in the kicpod area including the tweeters, nd no rear fill with a single 15" in the trunk where the spare tire went.

I used fiberglass to make pods that hold the 8" midbass, 3" mid and 1" tweeter, and keeps it all pretty stealthily hidden so youdon't really notice much in the car, and everything stays pretty stock looking nd useable.

if you go to www.caraudiocentral.net and register, you can check out he FAQ section there and read the threads on rear fill, and picking/mounting speakers. those threads would help you a lot. I wrote one, Jonathan wrote the others. Lots of handy info there
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us