Component advantage

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 107
Will component speakers make a huge difference over co-axials? When I say huge I mean does it merit me buying a whole new pair to replace my Infinity Kappas?

I have these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4278.html

But I am considering buying these
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-CAR-AUDIO-D651A-D651S-COMPONENT-DOOR-SPEAKERS_W0QQit emZ140018361916QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32818QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Worth it? I would be powering them with a Diamond Audio D3400.4. As it is the infinitys are nice buy they distort when I crank them to about 50 on my h/u that goes up to 60. They get really loud as it is but you know how that goes.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2608
well, Coaxials are best if you are powering them by the HU. Components need more power then the 10-14 watts the HU will put out. the only way to get louder yet clear sound is to get more power from an external amp.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1164
This topic has been talked about alot so you could do a search for more detailed explanations but all in all it comes to how much power you are going to put to them and actually just how loud you want to go. Components have a better crossover network than the resistors used on coaxs and they handle more power. BUt components do take a little more thought to the install than a coax.

Silver Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 104
even when i had my type-R components hooked up to my headunit, they sounded much clearer and detailed then past speakers ive had, but when i hooked them up to an amp he difference is night and day.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4353
If you're thinking about selling your kappas, I could probably give you $50 for them if you wanted...I need some speakers for my brother's car.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11576
the separates will only be a marked improvement if you plan to use an amplifier for them, and mount them in a way that allows you to position or angle them ideally to get the best response.
If all you're going to do is stuff them into the factory door locations and run them from a head unit, then no, not worth the effort or cost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
I said in my post that I would run them off a D3400.4 amplifier. But thanks for the info. I will def have to consider selling them to jexx. They are 6X8 so basically fit ford and mazda.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4385
Cool, if you would rather do a trade, I also have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 401S amp that works great, just missing the end plates (not necessary for anytning) and the terminal screws for the speakers(which can be replaced easily). I could ship it USPS priority mail as part of the trade.

100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
200 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
50-250 Hz high-pass/low-pass (12 dB/octave) crossovers

Upload

Upload

If you want me to throw in a distro block or some cable, I could do that. I'm still good with the $50 trade too if you want. I need to get rid of this amp :-) Give yourself some time to think about it and let me know: spinsharp@gmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Thanks for the offer but Yea I would have no use for the amp. Sorry though I think I will just stick with the kappas for now. They definitly get the job done.

Also glasswolf mentioned mounting position, would there be anything wrong with cutting a piece of mdf? Then mounting the mid driver and tweeter in that piece and then just putting that piece where the normal door speakers go?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4394
Okay cool, let me know if you ever want to sell them :-)

Yeah, you can use MDF in the factory location, but I would definitely mount the tweeter near or on the A pillars(slightly below head level), otherwise the imaging won't be as good as it could be.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Yea one thing I liked about the infinitys is that I can point the tweeter wherever I want and attenuate it +/- 3db.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 54
There is nothing wrong with mounting tweeters low in the door. JL recommends it with their ZR line. Some of the best systems I have designed/heard have used plates to house woofer/tweeter or D'Appolito arrays to house two midranges and a single tweeter. In this case the second tweeter IS placed high in the door, but is severely cut down or run as an ambient tweeter to slightly raise the stage.

Yes having the tweeter high can help raise the stage, but it's also very easy to destroy both the image and color the sound quality of the system.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4982

quote:

Yes having the tweeter high can help raise the stage, but it's also very easy to destroy both the image and color the sound quality of the system.

don't play with my emotions like that. i have mine in the sail panel. lol:-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4701
Some of the best systems I've heard have had the tweeter mounted on the A pillar.

It's a matter of taste.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 60
I'm not saying that tweeters up high are always bad, in fact mine are up by the door pulls in the stock locations, you just have to be a little more careful about them coloring the sound.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4703
Yeah, I was just offering another point of view :-)

When it comes to imaging, it's definitely a matter of personal preference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us