No Sound - Baffled!

Username: Nike2000

Richmond, VA USA

Post Number: 2
Ok, 1999 Chrysler Town and Country with 8 Speaker Infinity System. Long story short...someone attempted to remove factory stereo by jerking it out with wire harnesses still attached (OUCH!!) Resulted in several sparks coming from the factory amps ground. After much analysis, we decided the factory amp is fried. So we attempted to bypass it. We are still not getting any sound out of any of the speakers. I have found 2 pairs of crossovers for the speakers in the car. One Xo at each corner of the vehicle. I wired in directly before the Xo and called the dealership to get wiring diagrams to ensure the right wires were being "spliced" into. Still no sound. When I take a speaker directly to the back of the HU and touch the wires to the terminals, sound is heard. The only thing I can think of is one of the speakers is grounding out somewhere. I can't find it. I need some help. Anyone? Is this most likely the HU is bad or what? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4310
Why were they taking out the factory system? Ouch indeed.

If wiring a speaker directly to the head unit works, it might be worth rewiring everything. With those infinity installs, you never know what weird stuff they've done.

Richmond, VA USA

Post Number: 3
They ripped out the factory system. I was able to take one of the factory speakers directly to the new HU and it worked fine. I went through each and every speaker like that, two of them caused the HU to go into Protect Mode. I am getting ready to go to Wally World to buy some replacement speakers now. I hope this works.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4322
Wonderful, I had a feeling one or two speakers were to blame...which speakers are they?

Richmond, VA USA

Post Number: 4
Well, it was the right side dash 5.25" and the left rear 6x9. How charming? I got two new pairs of speakers today! Too bad they are crap from walmart, but as long as the work, the wife won't complain. Heh! Heh! I haven't put them in yet. Let's see how it goes.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4339
Walmart?? What did you get and how much were they?

I'm guessing Dual/Jensen...

Richmond, VA USA

Post Number: 5
Yeah, yeah, I know...Walmart. My durango slid over away from me when I walked up with the walmart bag :-) I got Pioneer 5.25" for $35 and the 6x9 for $55. I haven't bought this kind of junk in years. My system in my durango definitely kicks the chrysler's butt!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4341
Wow, they have Pioneer? That wasn't so bad then, heh. I was expecting worse, really. Tell me how it goes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us