Mecury Villager Disaster

Username: Yocatbob

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
Heres the deal:
My younger brother just got his license the other day and decided to put a new head unit into his 1995 Mercury Villager.
I was under the impression he would take it to circuit city or someplace and have them do it, but instead I guess he tried to do it himself which was a huge mistake.
I've been trying to fix his work, since I have some experience, but I gotta plead ignorance here.

So he cut the factory wire harness connecting into the factory head unit and he doesnt remember which wire goes where. Furthermore the wires were all pulled out of their slots so I have no clue where stuff goes. I took the harness to the electronics department at my work and they were able to solder new wires to the pins.

(I included pictures below if you cant figure out what I'm talking about from the description)
The factory head unit is a ford premium system with 4 wires, 1 large grey connector, 1 connector with blue and yellow wires, 1 connector that was not connected to anything(to integrate another head unit) and the L shaped connector that was cut.

I thought it might be easier to just put in the cd player (an aiwa cdc-x227) so I went to Circuit City and they sold me a ford integration wire harness. I assume that the black piece goes to the thick grey wire plug and the grey piece goes to the L part that was spliced. The problem is I still dont know the pinout.

On top of all this the gauge lights in the dash no longer work (short?)which is the biggest problem in my mind.

If someone could help me at fix the gauge lights I would be very grateful. The radio and new head unit are secondary, it would be nice if I could fix it one way or the other but I could care less if they work or not as long as the gauge lights work.

So there are 8 pins on the spliced connector and 7 wires, grey, brown/yellow, orange, brown/white, pink, pink black, brown.

If anyone can provide any help I would really really appreciate it. I can provide more info and pictures if necesscary.
Sorry to write a treatise.
Thanks
Andrew

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4299
Oh man, that's bad....and a common mistake people make is assume that they can cut the factory harness and wire the stereo that way...

Mike Lee or Ty Mutlow should have a wiring diagram for you, I'd ask them. That would probably be the first step to take.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2724
1995 Mercury Villager Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Green/Purple
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black/Light Green
Illumination Green
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors
Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green
Left Front (-) Light Blue/White
Right Front (+) White/Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green/Orange
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Light Brown/White
Left Rear (-) Light Brown/Yellow
Right Rear (+) Light Brown/Green
Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

• Alarm Information • Cruise Information

Web the12volt.com

Send this page to a friend.
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 • Copyright © 1999-2006 the12volt.com • Donate to the12volt.com

Basics • Car Audio • Car Security • Cruise Controls • Diagrams • Downloads • Find an Installer • Forums • Glossary Donate • Search

Username: Yocatbob

Post Number: 2
I appreciate your help but that doesn't tell me the pinouts of the head unit. and none of those colors are the same as what im looking at: grey, brown/yellow, orange, brown/white, pink, pink/black, brown

Silver Member
Username: Leew

Ketchikan, ALASKA USA

Post Number: 555
this with amp:
application/x-zip-compressedUpload
merkur.villag.1995 radio w.zip (63.4 k)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us