My friend is having sub problems...help

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 90
hey all, my friend has 2 type R 12s in a vented box with each sub wired to a kenwood 1700 watt amp. both amps have the power connected to the positive side of an extra battery in the trunk. the grounds are connected to the negative side of the battery. he says the subs sound good but when he turns up the volume past a certian level, the subs seem to move in and out, but stop playing any noise. i am completely baffled by this so i was hoping someone could help me out. thanks.

Bronze Member

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 93
bump?

Bronze Member
Username: Subwoofaz_rock

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 79
clipping/distortion/excursion?

Bronze Member
Username: Subwoofaz_rock

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 80
try hooking your ground to a metal frame find a bolt and hook your ground up to that dont use ground from the battery

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4834
explain why he shouldn't use ground from the battery. the battery is in the trunk so its not like his ground cable is extra long. besides grounding directly to the battery has better current flow.

i think the sub is bottoming out.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8864
could also be ur subsonic filter is set too low - check other settings too while u r @ it .....

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 983
you mean when hes not playing any music its moving? cuz if thats it its either the gain is set too high or a subsonic filter, make sure all the wires r tight too

Bronze Member

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 95
no, the subs stop playing when he turns the headunit volume up after a certian point. and if he is getting power from the battery in the trunk, grounding the cable the chassis would not return the power to the same battery... i haven't actually seen or heard his set-up, but he says the subs dont seem to be distorting a lot right beofre they stop playing. the subs keep moving (in no pattern or anything) but dont play any(or very little) noise...

Silver Member

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 101
bump numero deuce
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us