Losing Sound in Speakers

Username: Ronniedasaint

Minneapolis, MN USA

Post Number: 2
I just had a new Kenwood head unit installed along with some Infinity Components, some Polk DB 550 5 1/4 speakers in the back doors and left the rear deck stock. When I first picked up the car I noticed that at low volumes I only had sound on the left side of my car. I started fiddling with it by turning the volume up and down, that's when the right side speakers would kick in and it would sound great. If the volume is really high (the last, second to last and third to last) volume settings the speakers will cut out a little bit. However, if I listen to music at lower volumes the speakers on my right side will cut out without fail, and then I have to turn it way up to get all my speakers engaged.The only way that all of the speakers will come on is if turn up the volume REAL loud. Also, I've notice that my back door and rear deck speakers aren't on most of the time. And if they do come on it's only for a couple of seconds.

I brought the car back immediately after the install to complain about the poor sound but the tech said something about the problem being with my amp. However, the amp can only push four speakers which should be the the components and the door speakers, so by that rationale, the rear deck speakers should have sound all the time and not be impacted by what the amp is or isn't doing. Bottom line, ALL my speakers are messing up, and since I don't know what's up with car stereos I'd like some ideas for when I go back and have them fix my stereo.

Rene J.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4246
What Volvo is this? Chances are very high that there is a factory amp in the car that needs to be bypassed or it wasn't done correctly...unless you're using an aftermarket amp? It doesn't seem like you are.

The 'tech' is full of crap...was this Best Buy or Circuit City? This is their problem that they need to fix!

Minneapolis, MN USA

Post Number: 3
The car is a 1993 850. And the amp is an aftermarket Alpine. I agree that the tech is full of crap because my sound has gone from bad to worse. Now I only get sound in the front speakers and it seems to be getting worse.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4291
I would highly suggest taking it back and asking someone else to look at it besides the original installer.

Minneapolis, MN USA

Post Number: 4
Jexx, thanks for suggestions. I did take it back and had someone else look at it. Turns out the originaly installer hadn't turned on a certain switch, it was on 1/2 instead of 3/4, don't know exactly what that was but it sounded ALOT better. Until I got home, then it started doing the same bs. So I am going to have it taken out, and have my head unit push everything until I get a new amp. Anyhow, thanks for everything, much appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us