Alpine head unit

Bronze Member
Username: Etaniyani

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 19
Hey everyone, I am upgrading my head unit, and I am planning on getting alpines CDA-9857. I also have the mrv-f450 amp, which puts 50wx4 and 200w for the sub. My question is will the BBE on the 9857 hinder my sound? Should I get a unit that does not have BBE or should I just turn the BBE off? Will the cda-9852 produce cleaner sound because it lacks the BBE option? Any other alpine units that I should look at? Thanks for the input.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1067
BBE is a loudness button.

It should be used only at low volume applications, where the mids are more efficient due to the nature of things, compared to bass and/or highs.

I have the CDA 9856, and I dont use the BBE feature.

It will climax the signal to your amp sooner, and start to clip prematurely.

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 23
Those were my thoughts exactly, thanks for the input. Will turning the BBE off produce the same sound as a unit that doesn't even have BBE such as the 9852?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4301
BBE is not a loudness button when used properly!

Read this: http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE%5FHDS/

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4302

quote:

The second major element in the BBE system is the augmentation of the higher and lower frequencies. Loudspeakers tend to be less efficient in their extreme treble and bass ranges. Most sound-reproducing systems include a circuit for boosting high and low frequencies, showing an accepted awareness of the loudspeaker's efficiency problem. The BBE system, however, provides a dynamic, program-driven augmentation which combines with the phase compensation feature to restore the brilliance and clarity of the original live sound.

In other words, the bass and treble settings should NOT be turned on simultaneously with BBE(This means all treble/bass settings set to 0). That's why it appears to be a so-called 'loudness' button.

With it off, will it sound the same as other head units? Sure. But why lose the benefit of such a great sound enhancement?

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 24
First off I didn't mean to make 2 posts. BBE does sound better at lower volumes, it gives the sound a much fuller tone because of the bass extension. The problem I had with BBE is distortion. Even with my crossovers set at 140, and bass at 0 I would experience distortion at volume 25, I turned off the BBE and raised the bass and crossover. I was able to take it much louder without distortion. This could very well be due to the poor cd player quality as it was couple years old. I will give the 9857 a shot, try it with BBE and without and see which works better. Thanks for everyones input, I will post up my findings. Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 143
bbe is like having a preset eq on

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1069
Etan

"Will turning the BBE off produce the same sound as a unit that doesn't even have BBE such as the 9852?"

Yes.

When the BBE is not activated, it doesnt effect the sound at all. The same goes with, if you have it set at certain values, but as long as you do not turn the BBE up and/or bass or treble, you will not activate it.

Basically it only comes into effect when "any" sound enhancement is boosted or cut.

Yes, even cutting the frequencies will affect the BBE levels.

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 25
alright everyone, I installed the hu today, and wow what a difference from my old one. Gets much louder and much clearer. On my old hu, turning BBE on and off was a drastic change in sound, but on this one, the sound is slightly changed for the better and does not distort much earlier then turning it off. I'll probably lower the crossover on the speakers a little more and raise the sub volume so I can take the whole system a little louder. Thanks for everyones input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us