New box failure

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 410
Well I built a new box to compete with and it turned out to put up lower numbers than my street box. The new one was 4^3ft tuned to 42hz with 54inches of port area. It had a double baffle and was completely glass resined on the inside. The port was at a 90 degree angle to the sub this time instead of beaing in the same plane. I tried every box variation there was and the best number I could hit was a 145.2. The Texas heat does not help by far but for my last run I put in my 4^3ft box tuned to 35hz and hit a 145.3. Yea it was only a 1/10 of a dB louder but it was my last run and at the last comp that box hit 145.7. I figured the new box would put up better numbers being tuned higher and being glass resined. Idk what happened... Better luck next try. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 85
well glass resin is a hard material when it dries. i would think that it would just make your box slightly smaller. unlike poyl fill which is soft and fluffy and can make boxes seem bigger.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3078
WTF???

i figured you would do better w/ that 42hz box i helped ya out w/.

what freqencies did you play...where did you peak?

did you drop your back seats and lean both front seat as far forward as you could? and stick the meter high in the passengers kick panel?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 411
the meter was high in the passanger kick panel and accoring to the pc i peaked at50 but my note varried from 47-50.. both back seats were all the way down.. i was sitting in the drivers seat and the front seat was far forward.. idk i was confused. i figured with a higher tuning frequency it would get louder. all the pros there said it was more than likely the placement of the port because the box was built very well. it was funny.. i turned that box like 360 degress and even tried firing the port into the cabin and the sub at a 45 into the corner of the trunk. nothing seemed to work.. this was with the low pass all the way down the high pass all the was up 0 bass boost 3/4 gain and the low pass on my h/u was set to 120hz with 0 bass gain and the subwoofer level was on max. i guess the box just wasn't going to work... but this kinda stuff is al ltrial and error so who knows. so i guess now ima have a box for sale :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4599
more port area:-)

you should've had around 70sq.in.

or at least i would have. either way though...that is weird.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 413
yea.. i just did not understand. oh well.. life goes on. if anything ill sell this box pretty cheap. ill port some pics and someone can make me an offer lol. im thinking like 50 + shipping.. damn cheap. just want my money back for building it. labor wise i'd be loosing cuz it took about 4 hours to make between cutting, building, having to run out for glass resin and more screws (lol), but oh well. the only difference between this box and my old one that I build as far as the way they were built is the new one I used Gorilla glue and resin and the old one just used wood glue. going to resin it and see how much i gain. thinking about getting bed liner sprayed on the outside as well. I've heard of people getting some pretty amazing gains just getting the outer part of the box sprayed with it.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 415
Theres the box.. going to end up selling it now so anyone whos interesting let me know. It needs a speaker termial connections because I had to use the one that was in it to put back in my other box.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4780
nice looking box man. too bad it didn't do what you want it to do. :-(

what kinda car do you have kevin?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 418
2003 VW Jetta

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4781
why don't you try a box with 2 6 inch aero ports.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 419
Thats my plan after I determine the resonant frequency of my car.. plus they are pretty expensive and im strapped on cash

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4785
try firing the sub and port into the cabin while sealing off the box from the rest of the trunk.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/3/t/005684.htm l

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 420
thats how i hit a 145.7 at 45hz with my other box... but it gained when the trunk was raised without it being sealed ..

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4787
oh my bad. lol.

its good to know that a single re sx can hit that kinda number. lol. i went to get mine metered yesterday but the guy that works the termlab mic took the day off. just my luck. i don't have time during the weekday so i have to go back next weekend.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 423
damn thats a bummer. marshall was in the 148s with a single SX. Hell a single SX should be able to get you in the low 150s with double the rms power and correct install/box

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4789
i wish marshall would share some of his secrets. damn it marshall.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3089
dam kevin...i have seen that design work time and time again in trunk cars. i have seen HUGE #'s out of that boxes w/ 2 12's designed like that. the only thing i can think is that your trunk my be really choked off.

i guess your car is just gonna be better w/ the port and sub on the same baffle. you may be able to salvage that box. i guess just do a box that will let you fire the sub/port back or forward (so you can flip the box).

sorry man...i guess i let ya down man.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3093
my secrets?
how about a 3cuft box doing 147.9 w/ ~600w?

shhhh. :-)
i need to test some more.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3094
its harder to get in the 150's than you might think.

but i do know someone w/ 3 SX15's in a ranger w/ 2 hifonics hercules amps (2000wrms each) that is doing 154.x's...bout 2.8cuft per sub.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 424
i figured it would work.. idk what happened. oh well. maybe next time ill pay you to build me one and if it fails youll have to make me another :P

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 116
You had a ring terminal in your box made for SPL?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 427
Yea.. I was in a hurry the comp was the next day and Home Depot was closed. I had it in my other box so it was a simple switch. It was sealed and not loosing air. I run it in my daily as well and it was still louder than the SPL box so that had nothing to do with it. Next SPL box I make is going to have two bolts going through it for terminals...

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 99
I drill the smallest hole possible for my wire then tie the wire in a knot on the inside then pull it tight. Then top it off with silicone to get an airtight seal.

The bolts sound a little bit better for ease of moving.

Do you just you any old bolts? Wouldn't they be less conductive and you would lose power unless you had like copper bolts or something lol.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3112
http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=000000&image=http://mem image.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/650000-650999/650399_43_full.jpg

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=000000&image=http://mem image.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/650000-650999/650399_61_full.jpg

they work great!

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 101
Thats pretty sweet. I hate installing peoples stuff using the terminals on prefab boxes. They are the crappiest things ever. The nuts on the bolts are so small and they strip so freaking easily.

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 121
What are those bolts made out of?They look like steel.They don't look very conductive but I don't know...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us