Upgrading to 12'' or 13'' w6 or w7 with JL box

Username: Z_accoustics

Worcester, Massachusetts

Post Number: 1
Hey folks, thanks for providing a great board here.

with the money i made working full time this summer i've decided to upgrade my subwoofer.

My current (first) system is this:
Eclipse CD8454
JL e4300
Eclipse 3way fronts (e4300 powered)
Eclipse 3ways rears (dec powered)
JL 10w3v2 (e4300 powered)

I love the quality of the JL sub I have right now at 63htz x-over set on my dec but It fludders on some songs and I want it to fill more of the car at higher volumes and I want to be able to hear sublte deep deep tones. 85% of the time I'm listening to brit rock style stuff that is basically like american rock but with more electronic instrumentation. 10% of the time i listen to bass booming hiphop/metal and 5% i listen to classical, and i love my classical (now and then). So most the time i want serene perfectly blended bass, but sometimes I want people to think the apocolypse is comming when I roll up.

So thus far I have determined I want to keep it JL and these are my considerations ordered by which one i'm leaning to most for best fit:
a) 13w6 + 1000/1 + JL H.O. Wedge
Here i want sq so i go with w6 instead of w7 and since i want loudness sometimes i put it in a H.O. box instead of a ProWedge. sound right?
b) 13w7 + 1000/1 + JL ProWedge
I get the louder sub here but put it in a box more turned for musical output, not loudness.
c) 2 12w6 + 1000/1 + JL ProWedge
I want loudness and sq so i get two w6's and put them in a proper box for sq.

I'm open to considering really any combination of 12s and 13s but this is what i'm thought out so far. Also, my car is a Saturn SC1 not an SUV, so trunk space may be an issue. I also am not really keen on upgrading my car's electrical system but will do it if it doesnt void too much and can be done right for not too much $$$. Price is not a factor in these considered combinations.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4129
Running a 1000/1 off your stock alt is likely to cause issues.

Personally, I would get a w6v2 over a w7, especially for the price. For your specific car it would be best to keep it at a prowedge(I doubt a HO wedge would fit unless you measured your trunk and compared to the HO wedge's specs), but man, those things are expensive! What kind of budget are you working with here? What's your opinion on ebay?

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perres, California

Post Number: 1880
dam u sound like a smart newbie

Worcester, Massachusetts

Post Number: 2
Pelon :-)

Jexx: So you'd go single 13w6 over two 12w6? and what are the reaosns besides price? My budget i want to keep bellow 2k but i dont want to compromise with the options i've discussed so if it goes over, fine. I don't have high opinions of ebay, however if I take it to a real shop they will insist on doing everything the way it fits their ear, maybe not a bad place to start, it's what I did with my 1st setup and what i will most likely do cause i want warrenty.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4135
I would rather have two 12w6v2's.

The w7's brand new are just too pricey, the w6v2's are still expensive, but much better for what you get. The SQ from them is amazing and you'll still get plenty of loudness.

The reason I bring up ebay is you can find JL on there for awesome prices.
Such as this: http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-CVS212RG-W6V2-12W6-12W6V2-12-SUB-WOOFER-BOX_W0QQite mZ270019177333QQihZ017QQcategoryZ32823QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 40
for me i would go with the single 13W7 but ofcourse all are good choices. one question tho can u run 1 13w6 with a 1000/1?

Worcester, Massachusetts

Post Number: 3
a 500/1 is matched in wattage for the 13w6
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us