2004 Element factory Amp/Sub Question...

Username: Bertokamus

Post Number: 3
I'm working on a buddy's 2004 Honda Element which has what I believe to be the higher-end factory stereo, although I'm not entirely certain- (Sub in the base of the console, MP3/aux inputs in the shelf of the glove compartment, etc)...

My question is this- he has an aftermarket Kenwood (Z828 or Z919 if I'm not mistaken) from his former vehicle, and we'd like to know if there's a way to swap this head unit in for the factory head unit and retain use of the factory sub.

I don't know if the sub amp is built into the HU (I would think improbable, but it *is* only a 6" sub from what he claims, so perhaps not impossible...) or if the sub amp is external to the HU. If it's only a matter of turning a pair or two of wires out of the HU harness into RCA's supplying the external sub amp, that'd be great. I'm hoping that worst case scenario, we have to add a small amp between the new HU and factory sub, assuming it's not a sub of some bizarre voltage that Honda has for some strange reason proprietarily modified.

=========NUTSHELL=========

Does anyone have any familiarity with this particular system and/or ideas on how to retain use of the factory sub? I'm aware JL manufactures a box designed specifically for this application, but we were hoping to save the expense of changing it out *if at all possible*.

Thanks, again, in advance, and I look forward to and appreciate all input as always!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us